Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blown fuse (I think)

Options
  • 22-06-2024 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭

Hi Would anyone have any advice. Plugs in one room and all lights wont work all of a sudden. Plugs everywhere else fine - so is electric shower.

Is that a blown fuse. No idea about electrics

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

have a look at the switches on your fuse board. One will be in a different position. Step one would be to flick it back.

This will not blow up your house!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

Thanks checked and they are all up and in same position. Nothing else affected except lights and and plugs in one room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭XsApollo

did you replace any sockets recently?
    a wire might of popped out of one of them in the mean time,
    sounds like a wire is out somewhere.

no I'm a tenant and I dont think the LL was here. Just woke up and they werent working. At least everything else is working. So probably need to call an electrician?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭greenore

if all MCB's (fuses) are up in same position, yes you need and electrician, up to LL to sort it for you

• Advertisement

ah shite. Yeah LL wont do that for me. Thanks for the replies. I'll try and find an electrician

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Luna84

Jesus, do you want to move into my house. It's 100% up to LL to sort this I should know I am a LL for the past 20 years and I have always had to sort what ever broke or stopped working in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,476 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If the fuses are not marked just go through them off and on (and label them) til you find the one for the non working sockets and replace the fuse - don't need an electrician for this

Just remember to turn the main power switch off when removing/replacing the fuse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭This is it

Sounds like a modern board with MCBs, RCD/RCBO rather than a neozed fuse that can easily be replaced.

I'd be getting an electrician to check it out. Your lights and sockets shouldn't be on the same breaker anyway

Lots of things are up to the LL but LL wont do them. Thanks anyway. I have to sort it myself and pay for it. I am useless with this sort of stuff.

• Advertisement

Thanks that sounds like I need an electrician. I dont know how to replace a fuse. I also cant reach the fuse box. Just for guideline is it an expensive thing to get done i.e replace a fuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭elgicko

Lights should be on a different circuit to sockets. You need an electrician

Depending how old the house is they can be on the same circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭elgicko

Fair point!

yes house is quite old. Hopefully it wont be an expensive fix. So strange that it is just those things and everything else is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,476 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Take a pic of the fuse box

was asked that already and they all are up and I think that means ok. There is another box with actual fuses I cant reach at all. Very old. I remember my parents had the same one.

Thanks for all your advice. It will wait until Monday but defo sounds like an electrician - any advice re what this would cost/is it an easy fix would be appreciated. Otherwise I can do without lights for a while

The problem is with the other fuse board as that is only kitchen sockets and lights and shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Don't mess with electricity.

Advertisement