Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muslim majority Tajikistan bans Hijab.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Would they?

Pretty hard to substantiate that isn't it?

Keep your islamaphobe nonsense, I have no time for any religions but I'm only afraid of one of the major religions and there's a good bloody reason for it.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

All religions and cults yes, including those where other are expected to go along with your beliefs no matter how insane. Quiet agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Augme

Christians think gay people will burn in hell for enternity when they die becuase they, doesn't take a genius to figure out what they'd like to do to them in this life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Oh come on. I have no time for any religion, but this is speculation of the maddest sort. Thinking or even saying that someone is doomed to burn in hell is entirely different from feeling entitled to punish them on earth. Islam has clear punishments on earth for things like apostasy or adultery. Christianity gave up on that a couple of hundred years ago.

Until Islam officially does the same (ie there's a guarantee that there will be no more fatwas against individuals), one of the two is FAR more of a danger to the rest of us than the other.

That’s absolutely not true and tbh even if you are close, there’s a huge difference in a belief that a fiery fate awaits and taking a person to a rooftop and throwing them off.

Though I doubt you’ll see the nuance.

• Advertisement

I had a lovely gay friend in school / my aunt was a devout Catholic, she treated her with respect and hospitality and said to me “I will pray for her soul”.

Little different to hatred, violence and death no ?

It's really not that different. The big difference is that punishment exists for doing that in this life. Religious zealots are a danger to society, no matter which religion it is.

Yes, it really is that different though.

Do you know what the Muslim equivalent is to the biblical story of the woman caught in adultery?

(Your link talks about paedophilia, not about homosexuality in general. And even then, there's really nothing in the new testament that says someone can be shot in the back of the head, so that's a man who's gone off the ranch there. NOT something based on Jesus' teachings. Unlike the examples I mention above.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Shoog

It's no different and if the fundies in America had their way they would go all old testament on "deviants".

Christianity in Africa has recently been implicated in exactly the sort of crimes people accusing Muslims of.

Religion when it interferes in civil law and society is a danger to us all.

• Advertisement

Pray for her soul while it burns in hell?

Lol. I love how your happy to say all Muslims are the same but when it comes to Christians they're different, and it's only the "crazy" ones who want to do anything bad.

Of course the link talks about paedophilia. The pastor in the link specifically says that "all homosexuals are pedophiles".

I assume the story involved her being killed in a less humane way? What savages. If they just promoted killing her in a more humane way, like Christianity, then that would be perfectly okay.

It is different because the NEW testament does not validate killing in the way either the old testament or Islam does.

Here are the two equivalent sections about how to deal with adulterous women:

'Abdullah b. Buraida reported on the authority of his father that Ma'iz b. Malik al-A … (the narrator) said: There came to him (the Holy Prophet) a woman from Ghamid and said: Allah's Messenger, I have committed adultery, so purify me. He (the Holy Prophet) turned her away. On the following day she said: Allah's Messenger, Why do you turn me away? Perhaps, you turn me away as you turned away Ma'iz. By Allah, I have become pregnant. He said: Well, if you insist upon it, then go away until you give birth to (the child). When she was delivered she came with the child (wrapped) in a rag and said: Here is the child whom I have given birth to. He said:
    Go away and suckle him until you wean him. When she had weaned him, she came to him (the Holy Prophet) with the child who was holding a piece of bread in his hand. She said: Allah's Apostle, here is he as I have weaned him and he eats food. He (the Holy Prophet) entrusted the child to one of the Muslims and then pronounced punishment. And she was put in a ditch up to her chest and he commanded people and they stoned her.
    Khalid b Walid came forward with a stone which he flung at her head and there spurted blood on the face of Khalid and so he abused her. Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) heard his (Khalid's) curse that he had hurled upon her. Thereupon he (the Holy Prophet) said: Khalid, be gentle. By Him in Whose Hand is my life, she has made such a repentance that even if a wrongful tax-collector were to repent, he would have been forgiven. Then giving command regarding her, he prayed over her and she was buried.

Huge difference from the Gospel of John and how Jesus dealt with an adulterous woman.

John 8:3–11: The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst they said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. Now in the Law, Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?” This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.” And once more he bent down and wrote on the ground.
    But when they heard it, they went away one by one, beginning with the older ones, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. Jesus stood up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more.”

See any difference??

Most Christians are happy to use the old testament to justify their actions.

Thing is, I don't think Jesus said anything at all about gays, which, for the crazies, leaves them free to go back to the mad pre christian stuff. But that's a gap rather than actual teaching.

Can't blame either Jesus or Mohammed for what they didn't say.

So try dealing with what the two guys themselves actually said, as in the example above. Are they really the same??

The point is Christians have shown themselves every bit as bloodthirsty as Muslims and they have a book of hate filled titbits in the old testament to draw on. What jesus said never stopped them wanting to lock up people who have abortions - or even worse.

Religion gives hateful people an excuse to act out their hateful prejudices so they should have no part in defining civil law. The founding fathers of America had the sense to see where letting crazy zealots control government would lead.

You're confusing two different things though. You get hateful people in every group, left, right, religious, atheists - everything. And they will all use their own ideologies to find a justification for their hateful acts.

That doesn't make all ideologies the same though. And objectively, a religion whose founder explicitly teaches that the way to deal with a woman who comes looking for "purification" because of adultery is to wait until the child is weaned and then to stone her to death is, IMO, barbaric.

I see no reason to give Christianity a free pass just because it's our guys.

I didn't say it gets a free pass, still less that they're "my guys".

I showed you two different approaches to the same social issue by the founder of each religion.

If you really think those are much of a muchness, I think the problem is your absence of judgment.

I look and I see a very bloody history for the good Christian nations. So no they get no free pass from me.

• Advertisement

Not at all. Christians have killed more people in the name of christ than any other religion. It matters not a jot what the good book says when you use it as an excuse to slaughter.

I just hate hypocrisy when it inevitably rears it's ugly head in discussions of how evil Islam is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

What does the old testament say about adultery, I know you brought up Jesus in your post but without the old testament he is irrelevant. Of course not all people who adhere to the old testament want to live exactly by it, whereas this isn't the case with Islam.

But Christians haven't - you just don't know anything about the history of Islam so you think Christianity did all the bad things.

Islam spread mostly by war - trade came second to military conquests. The initial spread of Islam out of Arabia was done mainly at sword point. James Buchan says that "In speed and extent, the first Arab conquests were matched only by those of Alexander the Great, and they were more lasting."

Did you know that when taking over India, the Muslim invaders killed up to 200 million Indians? The "peace" that Islam talks about is the same as "Pax Romana", ie, peace because you have crushed anyone who disagrees with you.

And meanwhile, I notice that you have very carefully avoided dealing with the real point here, which is not that individuals do bad things in the name of any ideology (I think we all agree on that) but that some ideologies are inherently more violent than others.

So are you going to comment on the comparison I gave you of how Mohammed taught his followers they should deal with an adulterous woman compared how Jesus did, or are you just going to keep on with the fingers in your ears "I can't HEAR you" approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

You mean they didn't enter Southern France and Spain and Constantinople with flower necklaces?

I don't know and it's not relevant because in Christian religions, what Jesus said supersedes anything in the old testament.

The thing with homosexuality is that Jesus didn't say anything about it, so the fundies can go to the old testament and take what they like from it. But that isn't Jesus' fault - even the son of god is apparently not infallible, LOL. He just didn't think of it perhaps.

But where he did say something, then what he said can't be cancelled out by the OT, not even for the fundies.

So, women caught in adultery can be stoned in Islam because Mohammed did so himself - and this was him being "merciful"! - whereas Jesus told her to go and sin no more.

Oh wait, no - the Muslim woman came herself and asked to be purified. The other woman was caught. So much for being sorry in Islam.

Personally, I think someone has to have something wrong with them if they think those are equally bad teachings.

Since Jesus is a fiction in my book - the only thing that matters is what his believers did in his name - and that involved killing a hell of a lot of heathens. Really no different to any bunch of fanatics who want you to believe what they do - at the point of a sword.

So are you going to comment on the comparison I gave you of how Mohammed taught his followers they should deal with an adulterous woman compared how Jesus did, or are you just going to keep on with the fingers in your ears "I can't HEAR you" approach?

So the latter then? Okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭LetticebCivil

Who knew we had so many experts on Tajikistan here in boards?

Advertisement