Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the Cork Garlic Footballers the most unloved sports team in the world

Options
  • 23-06-2024 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

there’s almost an apathy towards football in Cork. I’ve lived there for a few years and the locals generally watch soccer or hurling….tough lines for these boys who are training from November….it’s kind of a unique situation is it not??? Or would the Dublin hurlers be in a similar boat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭longrunn

Sure football isn't as popular as hurling or soccer across much of Cork but I think it still has a decent following, especially the further west you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tipp1991

I'd imagine the footballers in Tipp or hurlers in Kerry would come pretty close

• Registered Users Posts: 10,473 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 spursfan111

yeah but those counties are playing in the SpongeBob SquarePants cup and stuff cork footballers are actually half decent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 spursfan111

yeah but those counties are playing in the SpongeBob SquarePants cup and stuff cork footballers are actually half decent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I like Garlic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

A team of vampires wouldn't lay a glove on them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

We talk about long suffering Mayo fans, but Cork are a real team that every good performance is followed by a bad one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭Seadin

They are shite full stop. Couldn't win All Irelands when they had decent teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Yeah the Cork public especially Cork city and east Cork wouldn't follow the Gaelic much. It's a traditional thing of following sports that don't bore you to death like the Football can. Limerick don't follow Gaelic either. There's not one school in Limerick city that play gaelic football...all rugby and hurling

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Knockdromin

Silly comment. Don’t forget which of Gaelic football and hurling is the minority sport. Don’t forget which of the two All Ireland finals pulls higher viewership figures every year.

CBS Sexton St & Mungret play football, Crescent College too. Might be others but those three definitely do.

No GAA club in Limerick that shares a border with county Kerry plays hurling. Bit like Clare, the west extremes of the county are more interested in football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

A hurling county with a football problem.

Schools division z id say. Sexton street is an association football school and Crescent is a rugby and hockey school. Mungret is open ...2 years? My comments are fairly accurate I think . People forget there's huge swathes of Munster with no Gaelic football. East Clare and north Tipp .. east Waterford...Waterford, Limerick cities...ect.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Support for the county football team is in the minority for sure compared to the hurlers, but there is still a lot of interest in football in the county. It shouldn't be forgotten that there's more clubs in the county that play football than play hurling, although admittedly some clubs only give it lip-service. And even if the football county team do underachieve they still generally pop up with an All-Ireland every 20 years or so which many other counties would bite your hand off for.

The loss of the dual player seems to have affected Cork footballers more than most teams. I'm not sure about the very early wins in the early 1900s, but every other football All-Ireland they've won have had dual players. Teddy Mc, Ray Cummins, JBM, Eoin Cadogan, Aidan Walsh, Denis Coughlan, Jack Lynch, Brian Murphy, Denis Walsh off the top of my head. There's been a good few hurlers in the last 25 years including on the current team who would have been as good if not better at football but chose to play hurling. The old straight knock-out system with less matches seemed to have suited Cork footballers as players were able to play both codes. A county as big as Cork should still be able to compete with a losing couple of players to a different code however but they don't seem to be able to do it currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Cork footballers have a decent amount of fans compared to the footballers of Limerick, Tipperary or Waterford where interest in Gaelic football is at an all time low .

Your comments literally aren’t accurate. You said not one school in Limerick City plays Gaelic Football. I know of at least three that do (I work in one of them who played the other two in the year gone by, there probably are more but I’d have to start googling for definitive answers)

Plus you said people don’t watch football because it bores them to death. That’s quite the self burn coming from someone who is a hurling supporter when the stats show national viewership for Gaelic football is actually higher than hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

I like garlic bread. Especially with lasagne. Not sure I'd chance a garlic football though.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭LetticebCivil

Waterford v Longford had 70 people in attendance in the last group game of the Tailteann Cup. So no would be the answer.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭LetticebCivil

No the commentators on Radio counted the people 😀

You named 3 schools that throw together a gaelic football team in the city.. none near an 'A' competition I'm sure. There's more schools in Limerick city playing hockey than gaelic and playing it to a higher standard.

The only one burnt is yourself if you think that because more people in Ireland watch Gaelic that it's a better sport than hurling. Hurling can't be played on bad land traditionally which rules out most of the west and half the north..

I took mygood friend to his first hurling match this year . Cork v Clare . He's from Staffordshire..loved the game..said he was 'afraid it was going to be like the 'other' Irish sport'... I said 'relax don't mind that basketball in a field without a tackle.'

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

What did your friend think about the massive stench of garlic...?

For someone as prone to posting as much scutter and inaccuracies as you do you seriously need to learn how to deal with people pulling you up on said scutter/innacuracies. Muted.

I always take your advice onboard. I ll endeavor to learn and grow .

You're prone to bouts of verbal diarrhoea yourself . You too need to grow and start by giving up that auld gaelic football. We've 2 good field sports in Ireland. Rugby and Hurling and they cover any good young fellas sporting needs.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Tipperary won a Munster final 4 years ago, Cork haven't won one in 12 years. Tipp got to an All Ireland semi final recently as well. Cork have won 7 AI's in total compared to Tipp's 4. Hardly a huge disparity as you have tried to paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Plenty of football in North Tipp, stop talking about things you have no clue about. Or to put it simply, stop talking!

• Advertisement

That's bullying and misogynistic 😔. Telling people to stop posting. Have you not seen Natasha on the news. We aren't standing for it anymore.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Advertisement