Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the Cork Garlic Footballers the most unloved sports team in the world

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Not much point arguing about any gaa code with someone from a county ending in shire ..who claims to be from other hurling strongholds depending on the day/mood that takes them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Dickie10

…and Brian Corcoran was on the 1993 team beaten by only 3 points by Derry in final and Sean Og Ohailpin on the 1999 football team also only beaten by 3 points by Meath in all ireland final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randd1

Kilkenny footballers? Or as we call them in Kilkenny, the lads doing the fitness work for the hurling.

At least Cork have some sort of skin in the football game.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I've seen the Cork football team play twice at Croke Park and never saw many Cork fans there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Tipperary's most recent senior all Ireland in football was in 1920. We have nowhere near the amount of all Irelands we should have in football, but we have competed at the top table for way longer than Tipperary.

Still though Tipp to be fair are the third most successful county in Munster in regards to Munster titles. Clare, Waterford and Limerick only have four Munster titles between the three of them!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

Everyone forgets too that Cork have lost more All Ireland Finals than Mayo. In fact, the only team to lose more than Cork is Kerry - so Cork have traditionally had a poor return once they get out of Munster ...

Post edited by TheSunIsShining on

Yes our Munster to All Ireland conversion ratio is very poor.

Unlike poor Mayo though at least we can pull the occasional all Ireland out of the bag every now and again!

Cork football just suffers so badly from having Kerry as neighbours, and the hurlers irrespective of how good and bad they're going are always the glamour team in Cork.

Even when we won that all Ireland in 2010 i think it was only lukewarmly accepted in certain quarters in Cork. Some people felt that it wasn't the same because we didn't beat Kerry.

But the hurlers didn't beat Kilkenny to win the 1984, 1986, 1990 and 2005 all Irelands and that rightfully wasn't seen as an issue. They were and still are seen as cherished all Ireland wins.

Post 2012 we've pulled off the odd decent result to give you some hope, but it's never built on. When Cork football seems to be going one step forwards, it then proceeds to go five steps backwards again!

You look at a county like Galway who traditionally like Cork are contenders in both codes, yet in Galway there isn't the same discrepancy in terms of support of both county teams that there is in Cork.

Galway to me seem to be pretty equal in terms of support and attendances in both senior codes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭Xander10

Would Garlic beat Mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I remember Meath played Cork in an All-Ireland semi circa 09, and the Cork turnout was brutal. I know Cork is divided into football and hurling area's, but those who play football are more likely to go watch the hurlers, if it's a choice of travelling. It's costly, and if your going to pick one weekend to go to Dublin, it's to watch the hurlers, whether you play football or hurling in Cork

So it's understandable the distance, and their locally rivalries generally being with hurling counties, other than the obvious huge rivalry with Kerry in football. I think the whole county of Cork is also just so invested in the hurlers ending their drought at this stage, that's the priority.

At the end of the day, lots of sports are popular in Cork, but it's ultimately a hurling county, and Irelands most successful one. When it comes down to it, hurling will always win out there

• Advertisement

I'd say a lot of Kilkenny folk would argue fairly strongly at you saying Cork is the most successful hurling county. But I'd argue that there is no argument about Cork being the most successful GAA county. By a long way....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

It's regional in Galway, likes of Tuam wouldn't know what a hurl was while Portumna would have little care for the fortunes of the football team

Add to that, Galway aren't called the tribesmen for nothing, the inherent clannishness of Galway folk means disunity often scuppers success , Galway people find it hard to wish someone three parishes over well if they don't know their lineage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

That's interesting. It does explain a fair bit..that odd disunity in Galway GAA. The likes of Clare and Cork have big regional divisions ...like West and East Clare people are very different..Cork city and East ,West and North Cork is very different but by God they are both Clare and Cork first . Limerick City is very different than the county..They still row in very strongly behind the hurlers even though rugby is massive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I'm a blow in but I know a particular man very well who has decades of experience in Galway GAA politics and the domestic disputes are legendary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You don't have a clue about Limerick. Stop pretending that you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

will you stop , natasha has a real problem to raise and fair play to her for standing up , judges and criminals in this country are getting away with blue murder , its alabama deepsouth stuff at the moment but there is nothing wrong with that post above

Alabama and the deep south is my favourite part of America. The red states are the best states . The people, food and culture. The North east would be my least favourite .

Of course I do . I helped Ard Scoil ris qualify for the Harty for the first time in years when we won the Dr Kinnane cup back in the mid 90s. I played 2 years Harty after . I'd have an intimate knowledge of Limerick city and it's sports more than most County Limerick folk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randd1

I was curious as to this myself. I knew Kilkenny had won more, but wasn't sure how much across which competitions. I figured I'll try and work it out and see what each county has won across all grades throughout their history. I figured senior, intermediate, junior and national leagues at adult level, senior, intermediate and junior at club level, and minor U20/U21 and schools at underage level.

As best I can figure out, in terms of national titles, it goes along the lines of the following;

• Senior All-Ireland's - Kilkenny 36 / Cork 30
    • National Leagues - Kilkenny 19 / Cork 14
    • Intermediate All-Ireland's (defunct) - Cork 9 / Kilkenny 5
    • Junior All-Ireland's (defunct) - Cork 11 / Kilkenny 9
    • U20/U21 All-Ireland's - Cork 14 / Kilkenny 12
    • Minor All-Ireland's - Kilkenny 21 / Cork 19
    • Club Senior All-Ireland's - Kilkenny 14 / Cork 9
    • Club Intermediate All-Ireland's - Kilkenny 9 / Cork 3
    • Club Junior All-Ireland's - Kilkenny 11 / Cork 6
    • School All-Ireland's - Kilkenny 26 / Cork 14

A total of 162 national titles won by Kilkenny teams, and 129 won by Cork teams, a difference of 33 in Kilkenny's favour.

In terms of provincial titles, it stands as;

• Senior Provincials - Kilkenny 76 / Cork 54
    • Intermediate Provincials - Kilkenny 17 / Cork 15
    • Junior Provincials - Kilkenny 25 / Cork 21
    • U20/U21 Provincials - Kilkenny 27 / Cork 22
    • Minor Provincials - Kilkenny 60 / Cork 34
    • Club Senior Provincials - Kilkenny 24 / Cork 17
    • Club Intermediate Provincials - Kilkenny 13 / Cork 9
    • Club Junior Provincials - Kilkenny 16 / Cork 15
    • Schools Provincials - Kilkenny 68 / Cork 41

A total of 326 provincial titles won by Kilkenny teams, and 228 won by Cork teams, a difference of 98 in Kilkenny's favour.

A combined total of 488 provincial and national titles for Kilkenny and 357 for Cork, a difference of 131 in Kilkenny's.

So the reason Kilkenny folks would argue strongly that Kilkenny is the most successful hurling county because history says quite clearly it is.

Even more remarkable given that Cork have 5 times our population and 6 times our clubs.

And people would then argue that Kilkenny only playing hurling is a big factor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,400 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Kilkenny deserve to be the top dogs. Teams until recently like limerick and clare would be beaten before they play them.

But their record does look better as in much kinder provincial group. Still wont take away from a super hurling county but it does help with overall titles in each code

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Knockdromin

Holy crap - that post you’re responding to is one of the most tone deaf and brain dead things I’ve ever seen on this site and completely trivialises what Natasha O’Brien went through and how admirably she has conducted herself since.

Someone just equated that to being told to stop posting? The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Rosita

Any chance this stuff could be put on a different more appropriate thread if you guys intend to discuss it?

The fact of Kilkenny being in Leinster is the huge elephant in the room or fly in the ointment. It's the weaker province by a significant amount. No doubt Kilkenny punch above their weight with their smallish population bit being in leinster you could knock off 15 to 20 All Irelands anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Knockdromin

Probably best off for you to report my post for being off topic rather than replying on thread with an equally off topic post?

I’ve nothing more to discuss on that post anyway, point was made, I’ve moved on.

Advertisement