Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kaleidoscope 2024

Options
  • 23-06-2024 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

I’m thinking of going to Kaleidoscope this year (mostly to see King Kong Company)! We would be going just as a group of adults, so I’m wondering if this festival would be suitable for our group or is it better for people who are going with kids? Would there be many people there without kids? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

You'll stand out like a sore thumb as the only group of people fully enjoying themselves.

It's very chill but not a lot of music acts, I don't know if having a child is a prerequisite

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

@Aquals As above - you don't need to have kids, but 99% will. KKC modify their act to allow for this - as in less swearing.

That said they have a new late night slot this year - App says playing until 12, so maybe there'll be a bit more grown ups at it, but if you're camping for it and expect to go back to tent for a few more beers and chatting, expect narky parents to hand you crying children

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭CurranBun

Random one. And I have emailed kaleidoscope but on the assumption they are mad busy on the last few days lead up... someone might have an idea / answer for us.

We have a campervan ticket and of course the camper is playing up. If it doesn't start would you say we would be allowed put a tent up in place of a camper?? And stick our camper pass on it to show its a paid for spot... our friends and family in camper site also and we want to stay together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

I'd wouldn't imagine so, they'll probably cite safety reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Half way through day 2, and its just not as good as previous years.

Weather's obviously having a big impact - very wet today, and muddy: but beyond that there's an overwhelming feeling there's been scimping on stuff.

Just 1 act on at a time quite a lot, no options- so like last night Lyra (v, v good) was on main stage followed by 45 minutes of waiting for Dec Pierce, just standing, waiting with tired kids as 2nd tent sat empty.

Tonight, already you can see it Waterboys or nothing between 8.30 and 10, with King Kong Company not on til 10 - when kids will be well exhausted.

Other niggled like prices for food well up again, less bars, less toilets (poorly maintained), less signage, seemingly unprepared for wet weather so mud pools forming without straw of woodchip.

It's not bad, just not nearly as good as previous years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Our second year at this festival and we had a ball again. I'll agree with the above that there are too many gaps in the music and I thought the same last year. It's almost like they leave gaps so you have to go do other stuff and spend money.

Lyra and Dec Pierce were excellent on Friday. Waterboys were good, but probably not the right band for families as they are a bit subdued. King Kong company are absolutely brilliant live.

We were in a caravan so the rain wasn't really an issue, but it did get very mucky very quickly.

We did footgolf (much better location than last year) and ziplines as well as lots of workshops in the woods.

My biggest gripe is the lack of toilets in general.

All in all, we love this festival and with a few changes, it could be even better but its brilliant value for money and a great start to the summer hols.

This was our 1st year at Kaleidoscope. We will 100% go again next year.

Positives: Brilliant fesitval for Kids, and famalies. Very clean and great friendly vibe from all security and staff.

Found that it was very clean, and even the toilets didnt seem to get too bad

Parking: was quite close to camp site and not a dreaded trek like Electric Picnic. Could easily do 2 trips to the car and campsite without having to try drag it all in 1 go.

Friday music was the best of the whole weekend. Lots of food stalls and plenty of options. The fairland area was a big hit with our kids.

Some great activities on for the kids, science guy a big hit. Kids DJ etc.

Main Gripe: TOILETS - the sheer lack of them, for a festival this size and with it geared toweards kids, with little bladders - needed more often. 2 sets in the Main Arena- queues were ridiculous for them during peak times.

Only 2 sets of toilets then for the WHOLE campsite including the Campervan section. Was really shocked at that. They easily needed 2 more sets in the middle section and closer for those with disabilities.

Water points. only saw 1. Over in camper section.

The price of some food stalls was terrible - so we avoided them and made sure to go to those that were not out to absolute rip you off - dont mind paying above the normal prices as its a fesitval, but 1 stall charged €15 for 3 chicken tenders and some chips! other stall charged €8.. worth walking around and checking the prices.

Went and got 2 glasses of wine from the bar - €19.50 for 2 tiny glasses (not the pub size) no wonder everyone brought their drink in.

Also an FYI for everyone - there seemed to be some scrotes on the Sunday - some solar panels were robbed from a Van and soemones awning the year before- so it seems they do try to strike at some stage.

All in all if they adress the toilet situation - it is a top notch familiy festival.

Also on this - there was tents up beside some campers - they did cite safety reasons to me when I asked the question - so we went to main campsite and sold the campervan ticket - however we would have got away with it if we chanced it. But wasnt an issue in the end as the campsite wasnt a dreaded trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The first time we went and loved it. Had our almost 2 year old and he loved it. As above, the lack of toilets, lack of water stations and general pricing would be our main gripes. I was selfishly delighted to see the Waterboys on the line up, but wouldn't put them as a "family style" act.

Roll on next year. We will be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Annani

first timers here too.

Had a great weekend!

Music highlights. King Kong Company were incredible. Best I’ve heard them sound and the laser lights took it to a new level.

Dec Pierce got everyone dancing on the Friday night when the weather was at its best. Great start to the weekend.

Sundays music was a bit of a let down although The Misses were excellent in the afternoon.

I thought having the supermarket near the campsites was brilliant although the prices were almost scary. Very handy to get a pack of cards for the tent when it was raining on Saturday and some shower gel.

Food prices were ridiculous. We ended up finding a couple of places with decent food and not crazy expensive and stuck with those where usually I wouldn’t eat the same thing twice at a festival.

Special mention to the cleaning staff. No sign of plastic cups of cans on the ground.

Negatives would be more toilets needed. Also a few wood chips around the Zozimus tent entrance and up the slopes on Saturday would have made a big difference to the mud.

All in all we all had a great time and will be back next year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Croftman

First timer too with a 9 & 12 year old who had an absolute ball. The weather up to 5pm on Saturday was bad and we spent most of it in the tent but nothing anyone could do about that.

The Positives:

• Great for kids and families. Very clean and compared to EP its a very short walk from the car to the campsite. The campsite was near spotless when we were leaving Monday morning.
    • Plenty of food stalls to choose from
    • For a festival the toilets were relatively clean. Seen them been power washed each morning
    • Dec Pierce/King Kong Company - both absolutely brilliant
    • The different activities/bits & pieces for kids. They loved the Zumba, reptile show, science stuff & funfair
    • The shop was very handy and well stocked

The Negatives (more from a parents perspective and there are a few unfortunately)

• There was a serious lack of toilets and showers. I actually couldn't believe it when I saw it to be honest. How permission was given to allow that amount for the whole campsite is beyond me. And then to have the sinks at that height where smaller kids couldn't reach any of them at a kids festival, baffling. 10/12 showers for a whole campsite - seriously?!
    • The baby tent - there should be at least 4/5 of them spread throughout the campsite
    • Water stations - were they invisible? Found the little yellow tap beside the sinks after a while but most were just filling from the normal taps. Some staff said it was fine to drink that water, others said not to.
    • The noise at night - was there not supposed to be a curfew? 2/3am and there was still plenty of adults going strong
    • The lack of music acts and the gaps between them and like was said above the type of acts booked. It's a kids/family festival, Dec Pierce & KKC went down a treat, The Waterboys & The Kooks not so much. They needed something to finish it off too and the DJ they had just didn't do it, pity.
    • The prices of the funfair. €5 a ride is steep but at least they were advertised. The big Chairoplane ride wasn't and only noticed on the Tappy app Friday night that it was €10 each and increased to €12 on Saturday and Sunday with the price only displayed on Sunday. Very sneaky.

Reading it back it's hard to believe we really enjoyed the weekend but we really did and we'll be back next year. But there are some genuine negative takeaways that I had and I'll take the hit on the prices/music stuff but the toilets/showers/drinking water situation needs serious looking at. It's a 3 day event with huge numbers of families camping and it shouldn't be too much to ask for the basics to be in place to cater for them.

Advertisement