Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats shot by neighbour

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I must say that while I haven't gone "hunting" in a couple of years, I did quite enjoy the peace of roaming the local farmland and taking my shotgun to any pigeons eating the crop the farmer had planted. These would then be thrown into the ditch for fox, or taken home to be consumed. My interaction with nature is to sometimes dispatch the animal and eat it. There's nothing quite like eating something you've killed and prepared yourself.

As to the content of the OP. It sounds like the neighbour shooting the cats needs to be challenged. Anything gun capable of causing a flesh injury at any distance is going to be a modified BB gun, pellet gun or less likely, an air rifle. All of these require license and such licenses require specific use on the application. I am pretty sure that if there were a license in place, the applicant didn't include the shooting of cats in an urban area.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Deub

You've a cat pooping in your garden, but you are not prepared to complain to the owners? Honestly, that sounds like a you problem.

I don’t think it is a you problem. It is just some battles are not worth the fight.
    By curiosity, if one of the neighbours approaches to complain they saw your cat pooping in their flower beds, what would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Ask them for proof. As posted earlier, my cats are identifiable.

Because surely if you see a cat pooping in your garden, you can take a photo or a video of it doing it.

No proof that shows it's my cat? Then I'm not interested. It could be any cat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I think we can all be pretty sure that the people posting in this thread who hunt, are doing so legally. Whether they are or they're not, they're posting in a manner that is in line with the forum rules.

I think we can all be pretty sure that the poster in question also knows this, and was trying to wind legitimate posters up.

I'll also remind you, well24, the questioning a mod action on thread is also in contravention of site-wide rules, so if you have any more to say, take it to PM.

Thanks,

DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭well24

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

If you have an issue with what people have said about legitimate hunting the please come out and say it so that we can address your concerns.

in your words

Please be aware that it's a requirement of this forum that posters are respectful towards one another. If you're disagreeing with others, please do so respectfully.”

I did that… so you cant disagree with a mod?

Please read my post again, my objection was about hunting / hurting cats!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Well24 - Dont post in this thread again.

Youve ignored mod instructions to take your argument to PMs and continually questioned a mods instructions on thread.

• Advertisement

LOL, so predictable.

I'd cross that bridge if it came to it. I'll let you know if it ever happens.

Of course it was predictable. You said people should talk to cat owners if they have issues. So I was wondering what you would do.

I think people don’t mention it to their neighbours because they think the owner will do nothing.

Your response could help people talking to their neighbours about this type of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Davrbarrystea

Would you compalin if you stepped in dog poo on the street?

Complain to whom?

If I could positively identify the dog who did the poo, and who their owner was, than yes. I've pulled people up when I've seen them let their dogs foul and try to walk away without cleaning it up. Very few "feral" dogs running around these days, though.

I've often had to pick up dog poo from my own front garden and from the grass verge outside my house, even though I no longer own a dog myself. (I have in the past).

As has been said on thread a few times now, that's life.

(note to self: remember to close the garden gates)

Post edited by Ezeoul on

So the answer is yes you would and have complained about dog poo. Why the double standards when it comes to cat poo?

There is no double standard except one you are inventing.

Nowhere have I said someone shouldn't complain if a (positively identified) neighbour's cat is causing them a problem. Go right ahead.

It is those complaining who say they wouldn't or haven't complained, for various reasons. That is on them.

It is double standards as you agree pet poo is a problem but you are unwilling to do anything to prevent your own cat from wondering anywhere it wants and pooing anywhere it wants. A good pet owner makes sure there pet is safe and under control at all times, letting a cat out unsupervised to wonder where it wants isn't being a good pet owner, firstly they could be killed and secondly they could act as a nuisance around the place.

Now you're generalising, and changing the goalposts to "pet poo", when your original question to me was about dog poo.

So I continue to disagree with your claims of double standards.

At the risk of repeating myself, no one has ever made a complaint to me about my pets fouling or otherwise, and if they did - as I have already said - I would deal with it then. As also said, my cats are easily identifiable, and all my neighbours know who owns them.

If someone having a problem with a pet cat and is not prepared to make a complaint, then how is an owner supposed to know a problem exists?

However, I (and other owners) have no control over where feral cats go, or where they poop (approx 200k of them in Ireland) and I am not going to confine my cats to living what I consider as an unnatural life for them, until I am shown proof they are causing a problem, and I decide there is a reason to do so.

As for letting cats go outside, that's your opinion. Cats are not dogs and the rules on "control" that applies to dogs, does not apply to cats.

We've already seen on poster give their experience of their pet being blamed for fouling when it was impossible for them to have been responsible.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Babyreignbow

The dog poo conundrum geez. I live on a street where people travel to get to the local park, with their dogs in tow usually. My house is fronting the street with a small court yard and rail, enough room for me to keep my bins tucked away behind and to the side. (I do have a side entrance but I keep them alongside it for easy access)

Every single day without fail someone walking their dog would drop their poop bags into my bins. Whatever about dumping crap into a black bin they just opened whatever was nearest, usually the recycle bin and which I then had to remove and put in the black bin, which was bad enough as it is.

I eventually installed a camera to overlook that space (already had ring doorbell) and caught the usual suspects almost immediately. It was an older woman, with I'm guessing her adult son and everyday without fail on the regular dropped their dog sh/t off in my bins on their way home from their dog walk. I didn't confront them, I was peed off alright but I just moved the bins out of their reach so that they no longer had access.

Having just read this thread about cat poo, I went to bring in my emptied garden waste bin from the roadside after collection yesterday and found another sh/t bag in it. I'm sure there's fines for not disposing of dog crap correctly but I doubt these regulations are upheld in any real way and I'm guessing they feel it's ok to let someone else dispose of it for them. It's not though.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'm amazed we can put pet poo in plastic bags and dump them in landfill forever for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,689 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In Dublin anyway it goes to the incinerator.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,472 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

just wondering if any neighbor is a farmer with bales of silage. A cat can damage many bales very quickly, and are fair game to be shot if they are doing €100's of damage to your property

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Given that the OP hasn't responded once to any posters in this thread, this seems as good a time to close it as any.

Thanks all,

DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement