Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android data transfer methods

Options
  • 24-06-2024 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭

How are we copying data these days? I want to save everything from old handset to Laptop, and maybe put a few bits on new phone, but Phone isn't being recognized when I plug in Cable like it usually does, - for Charging Only, or Data only, or Data and photos etc. or whatever, and I've tried like 7 different cables, and a couple of brand new ones too.

Have Phone Companies put a stop to transfer by cable to make us buy more space or something, or what's going on?!

Then I downloaded some transfer app, but I can't seem to download the FTP Client part of it. Any ideas, or any way to transfer for free and easily and smoothly and without hassle?! :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Last phone I did I used the Google transfer option during the initial setup of the new phone. It didn't copy my text messages, for that I used an app called SMS Backup And Restore. I believe the Google transfer functionality uses the WiFi connection to make the transfer.

Have you tried some of the other USB ports on the laptop, I know with mine that 2 of the 3 recognise the phone, the other port doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭PommieBast

See if turning on developer mode helps. Failing that maybe try a different computer (preferably non-Windows). Worst-case would be copying it via Google Drive. How old is this handset?

Not sure it related but Google have been locking down Android a lot in more recent years. Things like backup tools that have access to all files are highly restricted these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Thanks! I literally just left it and came back again a few hours later and plugged in Cable and the message/notification was right there to choose which Option for Data Transfer or Photos and images etc. So looks like it just needed a good night's sleep and refreshing! If it happens to anyone, just trying abandoning it or go do something else for a while and just come back to it again.:D :D

There is actually a chance it was there already when I was first looking, as I did have a lot of notifications running down the Screen that I didn't clear! :o So check this first in case it's already on the screen but overlooked with other Notifications present!

Post edited by misstearheus on

Advertisement