Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The population of the Republic of Ireland reached 5.33 million in 2022

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,222 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yes of course we will, but the reality is, we actually need more younger workers to help us achieve this, to help us move away from fossil fuel based technology, its very difficult to implement changes when your workforce becomes older, younger workers general are far more flexible in their thinking about such issues

…try selling later retirement to a voting public, virtually nobody will, and why should they, do you really wanna be forced to work into your 70's, or even your 80's, with diminishing physical and mental capacities? i.e. older people also have lower productive output than younger people, an aging population leads to lower productive output, which in turn leads a stagnating economy, this is very difficult balancing act…..

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

So blame the government and campaign for parties which will provide us sufficient services.

The far right grifters are exactly the wrong kind.

Ireland is not full, it's been completely socially mismanaged to allow for profits

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Do I want to work into my 70s? Nope. Is it a hard sell? Yep.

But here's the thing - that doesn't matter. Do I want to stop the planet from burning up? Of course I do. And nothing takes precedence over that.

You suggest we need to import more young workers to help us move away from fossil fuel - this is beyond stupid. You want to increase the cohort of people who, by visiting relatives once a year, create more than a year's worth of carbon? And this at a time when ideas have never transferred more quickly around the world? Why do they have to be here? They can be anywhere in the world and come up with ideas.

There needs to be a much greater discussion around the impact of immigration, emigration, population increase, pension age, etc on sustainability. It would keep us away from silly ideas like in your post and help point us in the right direction. If offices spent the time they currently spend on pronouns and identity politics on these ideas instead, we might actually have a chance at achieving something.

(For the record, I think humans are far to inherently selfish to stop what's happening. But that doesn't excuse you from suggesting ideas which would make things worse, not better)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

• Registered Users Posts: 29,222 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…its not just a hard sell, but actually an impossible sell, no politician is electable on this matter, none, none would even try it, so they wont….

…yes most of us want to protect this planet, including myself, im actually a greeny myself, even studied it at third level

…yes, a younger workforce tends to be far more dynamic in its thinking, compared to an older work force, increasing the likelihood of change, you can already see this dynamic at play here in ireland, including and in particularly at policy level, the needs of older generations has been constantly placed ahead of younger generations, this is particularly event in regards of housing…..

…our energy markets also show evidence of this to, with a strong resistance towards alternatives including renewables and nuclear, with policy makers extremely slow off the mark here, and still a strong resistance to alternatives such as nuclear, whereby some younger generations strongly for it(18for0 etc)

…these issues are far more complicated than human wants and needs, most humans are just struggle with their day to day needs, as a whole, humans tend to truly struggle with long term thinking, hence why we are where we are…..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The market forces do exist for housing, it is by and large the government who are stepping in and stopping the service being provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Service being provided at insane rents? Because the "market" is certainly refusing to maintain pay rates Vs housing costs

That is not good for society.

Housing has only become a commodity in the past 30 years.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

I agree it is not good for society, but it is entirely a supply issue, which is (almost) entirely a planning issue.

I am far from a free market liberal, but an actually free market would not have allowed the housing crisis to become this bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,837 ✭✭✭growleaves

Okay let me just get my Daft.ie ad right before I hit 'Publish'

Is €2700 a month fair?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I agree no politician is electable on the matter - but then you have to acknowledge that the only alternative is that we power right on through 1.5 degrees of warming, through 2.5, 3.5, etc. It's why I've said we need proper discussion on what a sustainable world means for all of us, so we can get away from our current privilege and be more inclined to vote for something that's in our long-term interest, if not our short-term interest.

Because for all the waffle you have in there about dynamism and analysis of our energy market, you've no actual consideration of how to reduce carbon with an increasing population, including a growing cohort of people who by visiting their relatives once a year alone create more than a year's worth of carbon. How will that help us towards targets which are already being missed by a long way?

And in this case where we're not electing a politician but shooting the breeze, I think the only alternative here is to acknowledge that I'm right. Increasing our population to cover pensions gaps is not sustainable and is not something we should celebrate. Population stability or even decline should be welcomed, not criticised as a sign of weakness. And we should not have as a central tenet in our economic policy the idea of creating this huge group of carbon heavy people.

That's the only starting point for real change, ultimately.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 baxterooneydoody

If we have nowhere to put them, then yes, we are full. We need to stop taking in people until we have the accommodation for them to rent or buy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

This. The population would be somewhere between 24m and 30m on an all island basis if you applied the same trend as was seen in the 200 years in Scotland, Wales, England etc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A fantastically naive statement.

Governments do not have an infinite amount of money, and taxpayers have a huge amount to say to them about where it ought to be spent, or more importantly, ought not be spent.

When you find the utopia you believe can exist, we'll come and join you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

So governments don't make plans for services based on population?

It's far from naive to expect government to mange a country correctly. I like every other tax payer would expect our services to be sufficient.

Post edited by suvigirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 27 baxterooneydoody

That's funny, however that doesn't solve present day problems of no room at the Inn but we've room for a tent down by the canal

• Registered Users Posts: 18,060 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

It's a joke about British responsibility for the Famine after the first poster said Ireland should receive carbon credits for keeping the population low.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,149 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,149 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭donaghs

So unprecedented population growth has no demand impact on housing? Is that because it’s bad politics to examine that side, and only look at the supply issue?

Even if we did manage to provide enough housing for the predicted population in the next few years, would you really want the eastern seaboard to become a Dutch-style conurbation where Dublin stretches out past Naas and Drogheda?

(you can already go from Dublin City city to to suburban housing in county Meath, bordering Ongar, without encountering any countryside.)

Even if we did manage to provide enough housing for the predicted population in the next few years, would you really want the eastern seaboard to become a Dutch-style conurbation where Dublin stretches out past Naas and Drogheda?

Last I checked our population was not envisaged to be 18M. There remains absolutely huge scope to densify housing in Dublin without even touching the footprint of the city and its environs.

Also Ongar is 15km from O'Connell St. I don't really see what the big deal with development being out to there is (though I would note you need to ignore the rather massive urban countryside park for your claim).

Advertisement