Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having house rewired soon. Anything I should plan for?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Shoog

You use a receiver as a server. A single set of sat cables can then serve multiple media players. It's more economical and means you don't need sat cable outlets next to every single TV point and you don't need multiple sat dishes.

You can use a SAT-IP receiver to do the conversion from SAT to Ethernet, and then any old PC server can do recording and media server duty. Since off the shelf sat solutions with disk drives are expensive, this approach will be both cheaper and more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The Astra satellite at28.2e is EOL soon. Freeview which already has launched an IPTV box.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

my approach is better to have it there and not want it, rather than want it and not have it. Also might be handy to lay a conduit (depending on your house - mines a dormer) to run cables from one side of the house to the other in future. You can never tell what you might need

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭gnolan

I appreciate all the replies. The general consensus is clearly to include ethernet. A couple of questions on this

1. Can someone point me to some good resources that describe the set up in the home? I think I'm reasonably clear on the cable runs that are required, but I'm not so clear on the switches/comms cabinet/PoE requirements and how that all connects to the ISP's router
    2. Will a decent electrician be familiar enough to handle this installation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭drury..

The spark will do the cable runs for network but that's probably all

Speakers , security and electric gates if fitting. Liaise with installers for these preferably , ime

Decent power to shed depending on use

Post edited by drury.. on

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭munsterfan2

I have ethernet cables all running back to a "hot press" (no longer a hot press, just shelves & MVHR ) upstairs. Network cables were connected to a patch panel and I have power over ethernet switch and a regular switch. There are two cat6 cables to the location downstairs where the fibre comes in, as this is where the NTU will be located. Make sure you have ethernet point and 2 x power sockets beside where fibre enters house / NTU will be placed. I didnt have power there but did manage to run the NTU via PoE. Wifi access points in ceiling, one in each floor, 1 in garage are connected to PoE switches. Security cameras also connected via PoE. If you have time it can be worth powering up wireless AP's and using a network analyser on mobile to check signal strength in each room so you can decide best location for AP's / how many needed.

As house is a few years old, I have satellite on garage with 4 coax running back to this room from garage and a coax patch panel to allow me patch these through to rooms which have 3 x coax to each tv location. Saorview aerial also patched to here into a 4 way splitter.

@munsterfan2 I have ethernet cables all running back to a "hot press" (no longer a hot press, just shelves & MVHR ) upstairs. Network cables were connected to a patch panel and I have power over ethernet switch and a regular switch. There are two cat6 cables to the location downstairs where the fibre comes in, as this is where the NTU will be located. Make sure you have ethernet point and 2 x power sockets beside where fibre enters house / NTU will be placed.

Apologies in advance for breaking this down to the very basics, but for my own understanding - let's say you have 10 runs of ethernet though your house. All 10 run to your former hot press and are connected to a patch panel. You have a switch and a PoE switch in the hot press, presumably with both plugged into a power outlet in the hot press? Depending on the requirement of each ethernet cable run, you either link from the patch panel to the non-PoE switch, or from the patch panel to the PoE switch. So, maybe CCTV, wireless AP or doorbell might require PoE and as such goes from patch panel to PoE switch. And then maybe you've got a cable run to a media server which doesn't require power, so you've got a connection for that cable from the patch panel to the non-PoE switch.

Finally, your two switches need to be connected to the router (I think your setup is different but I'm assuming a Virgin Media router would work the same), so you run two CAT6 cables (one for each switch) back to the router. Each cable would be connected on one end to the uplink port in the switch, and on the other end to a free ethernet port on the router.

Have I got that right or am I way off the mark?

Yes, although a single run to the router would be OK too and just a cable connecting the two switches.

Thanks @munsterfan2 . When you say

Make sure you have ethernet point and 2 x power sockets beside where fibre enters house / NTU will be placed

Are these two power sockets for the NTU and your own router, or something else. And the ethernet point is connected to your cabinet that contains your switches?

• Advertisement

One for NTU & one for router. Yes, ethernet back to cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

+2 for conduits, and also have a conduit or two going vertically from the CU to the attic

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭drury..

The problem with conduits going direct to attic is that they'd be concealing wiring

Rules don't allow that

Advertisement