Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sigma-T Maths

Options
  • 24-06-2024 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭

Hello

My son is in 4th class got a Sigma-T Maths score of 131, he got 130 last year

I know this is a high score, but are these tests a bit wishy washy

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'm not sure what you mean by "wishy washy." The tests are based on extensive research. A gain or loss of single point, in particular at that level is not in any way significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭obi604

as in does it indicate that my lad is really really good at maths? (or are the test relatively easy)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What class is he in ? The tests show how your child performed in the test , relative to their peers .

Oops, missed that , sorry .In some standardised tests, once you get a high score , the results will show >128 , 130 etc. but don’t go any higher .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

your best to look at these in terms of the sten score and how it trends over their primary school development. They aren’t meant as a barometer or genius or not more to assist with school resource allocation to those that need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

How did you end up with that number seeing as firstly you should only have been given a STen score and secondly that number for scoring purposes actugoes as far as 130?

it simply says the 131 number on his end of year school report.

Advertisement