Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probation and Transferring to Equivalent Civil Service Grade

• 24-06-2024 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I've been an AO in the civil service for three years now. I would like to move to a different team and am exploring mobility opportunities and general AO competitions. If I availed of mobility or was placed on an open panel, would I need to go through probation again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭maneno

ensure you engage with HR prior to the move, you shouldn’t go through a probation if it’s same grade

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BJG524

You will likely have to go through probation if it's an open comp

You won't through mobility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Ted222

There are other AO equivalent roles in the CS for which there are separate competitions because the requirements are different (eg. Third Secretary, the diplomatic entry grade to the Department of Foreign Affairs). If you appy for and are successful in these, a new probationary period would apply.

I don’t know whether you’re really considering doing another AO competition but if the new competition is identical to the one in which you were already successful, you’ll look ridiculous. You’d be effectively applying to potentially replace yourself when you leave.

What you seem to want is a new role. After 3 or 4 years, this is a reasonable expectation, particularly for AOs who are expected to want kick on to the next level fairly quickly. This should be easily arranged within your own Department on request to your own HR. This might suit better as you’ll have at least some idea of the alternative areas within the Department where you might like to work and the people with whom you would like to work.

A transfer to a different CS department might be more difficult to arrange depending on the status of any mobility scheme in place. It would also mean starting again in terms of building a reputation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Missy95

I’d like to know what is involved in the AO role? Is it a lot of reading and research or managing staff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭billyhead

It's a policy orientated role so planning and implementing policy. However nowadays some AOs interchange duties with HEOs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Missy95

Thanks. Is there a heavy amount of reading involved? Also do AOs get blended working and flexi time?

Advertisement