Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brick built barbecue

Options
  • 24-06-2024 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I am planning on building a patio type area out my back but have decided to try and incorporate a brick built barbecue also. I've seen some pics/vids online and it would be a lovely addition. Few years back rented a house in South of France and they had one in the back garden, I have to say it was excellent.

I don't think I'll need to use refractory mix/bricks as I won't be cooking on the bricks. Instead I'll incorporate a grill and tray.

Just wondering if anyone on here has built their own and if they can give some recommendations of do's/don't's and tips.

I've only added the pic below as an example, its not necessarily what I'll build. Although this example seems quite common online, I'm not convinced about its efficiency so I might go for something more enclosed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭hargo

You're right they look great and you don't need special bricks but they are really inefficient and effected by the wind a lot so hard to control. But if you have a ready supply of dry hardwood you could attach a heavy metal grill to the rear wall and you build your log fire behind it. You then have a supply of hot embers falling which you scrap under the grill. Its great for a big bbq and atmosphere Having said all that I'd put my money into a kamado and build my area around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah all depends on budget and your skills OP- they look great in all summer sunshine but the practicalities of Irish weather means you could end up with a damp pit when wanting to do your outdoor cooking.

An outdoor pizza oven might be the way to go as a result in that it’s an enclosed space, great for slow cooks - but maybe you just want to do standard burgers and sausages every weekend?
    Sorry I’m no help to you in terms of advising on the build but if “constructing” something I’m with hargo above and to make a surround that fits a kamado

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

That's a fine looking Bar-B-Que.....

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭The Macho Man

I had thought alright of buying a regular barby and building around it. I'm not going to get into the solid fuel v gas argument but these tend to lend themselves to solid fuel use which is what I have in mind.

My vision/plan is to have the area a covered patio and to leave a gap to allow for a chimney extension onto it to direct smoke out. All that may help with the wind/draft issue also but tbh if I'm using it I'd wait for some relatively calmish weather. I'm strictly fair weather when it comes to eating outside.

I'm fully conscious of our Irish weather so keeping it covered means I can use it and somewhat prevent the rain discolouring and ruining the paving. It won't be built this summer but the idea and plans are currently processing in my head so posting here will hopefully help get it clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

OK- so maybe this will give you some inspiration - must go along and check it out myself

https://buschbeck.ie

https://outdoorliving.ie/white-with-copper-inlay-rondo-buschbeck-masonry-bbq?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw1emzBhB8EiwAHwZZxQAFNYZIkqaMe3fosLrlgxd-plOZCtEqymxp0Q3cWiEeJNrXtu_R8BoCXqkQAvD_BwE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I built one about 6 or 7 years ago, and it's still going. I've had to replace the base kit one time, but they are affordable. I did the brickwork with my dad, didn't take long.

I have a wooden fence, and got a sheet of stainless steel to put behind the grill to protect the wood.

As others have said, the weather is problematic, especially if it rains before you are able to clean the base, because the ash can form into mud then harden and it's difficult to clean.

I recommend a starter chimney too (or two) because I've found that's the best way to get the coals going. I have a Weber one, but other cheaper ones would probably work as well.

Looking at the picture above, and they have the cooking grill 2 bricks distant from the coals, I'd recommend making that just one brick, I think the heat would dissipate too much in Irish weather, like you're averaging maybe 16-22c on a day you might feel like using this, and any wind at all is going to affect it too.

Another recommendation I have, is if you have spare bricks maybe put some up around the sides away from the heat as a shelf to rest your beer. Definitely need a flat surface that isn't adjacent to the flames to stop the beer from boiling.

Thanks for that. Brick work is not difficult at all so building one would be good. Can I ask where you got the chimney and grill/base kit?

I had thought about the distance too, I think I would lower it for sure. I have two options, put two layers in to give me a choice of two heights, but I've also seen some with a metal frame bolted to the side walls that has a few levels so I think that would be ideal. If I have two or more levels I have the benefit of a cooking shelf and another to keep the food warm.

Oh, I built mine as far as possible diagonally opposite to the seated/eating area of my smallish back garden.

I used the bricks that I took up when I removed a cobble-lock patio, they don't seem to be too different in size to what's in the pic you attached.

The kits you can buy come with little metal brackets for placing the ash-tray and grill on, so you don't necessarily need to do the fancy brick placement as shown in the picture either

Yeah, I sort of wish I built an extra level for the reason you said, keeping stuff warm.

I don't have a chimney, and I honestly don't see how one would be of benefit. On non windy days the smoke rises and flies off before it gets near the seating area - on a windy day, the space between the coals and a chimney will mean the wind takes the smoke before a chimney can be useful to direct smoke.

I got the grill/base in B&Q initially, then I got the replacements on Amazon, I think the picture you posted is the one I got that time actually.

The base where the coals sit is prone to rust in our weather, and so is the grill that sits on that, and it's impractical for me to remove them each time. The cooking grill can be removed for cleaning and you'll maintain it, but I swapped it out when the new base came anyway.

Ahh sorry I read your post about the chimney wrong, I thought you actually installed one but you just have something to get the coals going. I'm hoping to cover the area, maybe with clear corrugated sheeting so as to keep moisture out of the area and keep rust manageable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement