Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a "portable" version of a whacker, or alternatives?

Options
  • 24-06-2024 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

I am laying down 15cm of hardcore below a garden patio, and I've been told it needs to be compressed down as I lay it, ideally with a whacker.

The issue is that I have no side access to the garden so any tool I get would need to be brought through a few narrow doorways.

Is there a portable version that one man can bring through, or can I even do it using something else like a concrete block, or mallet or similar, even if it takes longer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A whacker should fit through the house, 2 people can carry it. Or even roll

It in.

How did you get the hardcore there?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

one like this in that big

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I rented one which was about the size of a folded lawnmower, should fit through a house although would be easier with helping hands as they're heavy enough

Just be careful to keep it level or petrol might spill

My understanding is that with the lighter ones you'll need to do more passes than the guidelines would recommend

I also found it helpful to use a long length of timber to initially tamp it down and also to spot any uneven areas. It seemed to help the final compacted surface to be level

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This is the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

so something like this https://www.screwfix.ie/p/roughneck-10-tamper/63805

Strong enough for hardcore?

I guess I tamp down every 5cm layer

I wouldn't recommend it, it's a tool of last resort.

Mine is smaller than that so more force is applied to a smaller area.

I'm just saying that's the only option if you must compact stuff but you genuinely cannot get a wacker through the house.

OK I'll look for a smaller version

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

There are small electric wacker plates, evolution make one and one person can carry it. They aren't amazing, but aren't terrible either, you should be able to hire one.

• Advertisement

The thing with compaction is that it's critical for two aspects:

• Where you have a lot of load bearing
    • Where you have layers that are unable to accommodate settling without cracking.

For instance, a concrete slab (or pavers) for parking cars on is going to need a rock-solid base because there are large point loads which will cause the slab/pavers to crack if the base moves.

You're not building a house, you're laying a patio, and as long as there's no topsoil beneath the aggregate and what's above the aggregate is able to accommodate a bit of movement, I'd say you'll be grand.

There's stoney soil beneath where the 15cm hardcore is going

Will prob add a layer of fabric first before putting the hardcore

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

you probably want to what 3 5cm layers ratther than try to do all 15cm in 1 go, especially with a small or manual one

there are "big foot" ones that will easily go through a door

yup as I mentioned before I'll tamper every 5cm

actually this one doesn't seem too large.. only 50kg too

https://www.hirehere.ie/plate-compactor-electric?search=compactor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

I brought one like that through the house. Heavy for one person but can be done. Easy enough with two

I have a little roller thing I can put it on so might be ok

It's mainly the narrow doorways and corridors are the issue for anything larger

Advertisement