Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One kitten or two

Options
  • 24-06-2024 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭

Have been thinking about getting a cat for a while now, my last dog died 3 years ago and as I now live alone, I can't get another dog.

I know someone trying to rehome 5 stray kittens and I think I'll go for it now, but should I take one of two? I need advise from cat owners, I am thinking they would be company for each other, when I'm working?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,831 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

100% get the two! There's very little difference in up keep than having one and they definitely keep each other company.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Would two females be ok together? I would obviously get them spayed

Master of the Universe

100%. It's the preferred setup really. Ive had two girls now for the last ten years and they get on like a house on fire. Joined at the hip. Not even siblings.

Ive found theyre a bit better at being indoor only cats too. Only boy cat Ive ever had spent all day just wanting to be outside.

Thats great, thanks for that! I've told her I'll take two females😁

Master of the Universe

And now for the obligatory cat photos!

• Advertisement

B eauties!

Master of the Universe

Amazing! Best of luck. You'll have to pop up a few photos when you get them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Definitely two. I remember my vet telling me that when it comes to kittens, two is HALF the work and even at that, the first year will be crazy!

I have two females, 3 years old (this week).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Two definitely! I had two strays, I’d have another two tomorrow.

Until you have a cat, you don’t know. You can have a dog all your life, you’ll never appreciate the dog until you have a cat. They’re dicks. But so much fun and love.

And I still have two dogs, who miss two cats.

I absolutely will, about 2/3 weeks I think! 😁😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Hoboo

just make sure they get plenty of time with mum, better to give them a few extra weeks.

Enjoy !!

Master of the Universe

I will say as well, don't be afraid to give them loads of love and attention. Ive found if you really get in there early as kittens and always have them on your lap / giving them physical attention they result is incredibly affectionate cats.

My two literally love people. Any time visitors come over they're all over them. Call their names and they'll run to you like a dog would. Completely blows the aloof cat trope out of the water!

Practical tips, use a good cat litter. I found "Cat's Best" literally the best.

Pet insurance is a good idea, about 8 euro per cat per month, for the first year. If you have a vet in mind, see if they have a TrustVet plan, which is a monthly plan, but will also cover vaccinations, visits, and discount of neutering, etc. (Usually done at around 5/6 months).

Then remove all small breakable objects, photo frames etc and batten down the hatches!

Master of the Universe

'The worlds best cat litter' is about ten times the price as other stuff but yeah, it's absolutely amazing! I switched over a few years ago and never looked back.

Also look into a plug in water fountain, much easier to get them drinking water from one of those than still water.

Thanks for all the advice, it's all very welcome. We had cats growing up, but they weren't really 'mine ' and my last dog was over 13 when he died, so this will take a bit of getting used to! Looking forward to it though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭con747

Just make sure to take out health insurance on them.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Congrats on the new kittens suvigirl! I'll echo oisin's advice. Get them used to being picked up and held by you as soon as possible. Get them used to you touching their face, paws, belly (if they'll allow it). Makes vet trips and general maintenance like trimming nails so much easier. Try pick them up and hold them, even for just a few seconds, every day. Your vet and your skin will thank you for it in the long run. I was in ribbons when I first took my new kitten to the vet. We've been working on that ever since and she's much happier to be handled now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's totally redundant now, but i'll echo the recommendation for cat's best litter.

it says it's flushable on the bag; just be careful with that! you don't want to dump any unactivated litter into the loo.

also, you're better off keeping their water separated from their food; apparently cats don't like drinking in the same place they eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not wanting to put a damper on things, but be aware that it's actually common for two strongly bonded siblings, especially two females, to drift apart after a year or two and become quite aggressive towards each other. It happened to us, with one car being so aggressive to her sister she started peeing all over the house. It probably won't happen but it's good to be prepared.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

our two fight occasionally; they get on with each other most of the time, but i wouldn't call them especially close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭greyday

2 can keep each other company.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Get two. Twice the fun.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I also agree with the other posters on handling them as much as possible, lots of cuddles and rubs and plenty of active play so they don't get destructive and to calm to zoomies.

Alun is also not wrong here either.

My two are not siblings, they are a week apart in age and bonded in their foster home (both being orphaned as very young kittens and hand reared). For the first year they literally couldn't bear to be apart and would cry for each other if separated.

Now as adults, they are definitely not as bonded to each other. They don't like to share sleeping areas and they do have occasional scrap - like sisters do! But they also stick up for each other if another cat comes into their territory - then they definitely work as a team. 😼😼 It's quite fascinating to watch, actually.

It's all part of the fun!

(eta) you may also need two litter boxes. If you only get one, get a big one. My two didn't like sharing.

also worth noting - we got ours from phibsboro cat rescue, and they had (IIRC) a policy that if you took two or more kittens, you could take them at nine weeks old, but if you took one, they waited till it was 12 weeks old - just worth noting in case you're breaking up a litter, so as not to leave any one kitten on its own too young.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Gary_dunne

We fostered two 3 week old kittens that were abandoned and failed at giving them back. Had to bottle feed them from day 1.

That was nearly a year ago, 1 boy and 1 girl and they’re still as close as ever.
    As most have said it’s an easy to have 2 as it is to have 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Two definitely but ensure they can have some sort of outdoor life and the risks that go with it. I know some keep cats indoors but this goes right against their natural instincts and nature.

Scratching posts. You'll need one, or your furniture will suffer!

Actually, new kitten shopping list. 😺

😺 Cat food (obviously! Wet or dry, your choice, I feed a combo of both). That probably deserves its own thread. There is a pet food bargains thread - but Zooplus.ie is usually good for deals.

😺 Food bowls. I use stainless steel and wash in very hot water daily.

😺 A water fountain has been recommended - I don't have one, but I believe they are good.

😺 Cat litter - "Cats Best" highly recommended, your nose will thank you!

😺 Litter Box - 1 x jumbo or 2 regular size. This is trial and error as some cats don't like covered litter boxes.

😺 Litter Box scoop. (One small, one large) Poop bags for disposal of used litter.

😺 Beds - they'll probably share one for now. Cuddly blankets to protect your sofas!

😺 Toys - lots of stuff for active play.

😺 Cat Tree - if you have room for one. Mine love being at a height.

😺 A carrier for trips to the vet. I recommend Amazon Basics soft cat carrier. I have 2 medium, but 1 large will do for kittens.

😺 As mentioned above: scratching posts!

If anyone else would like to add anything I've forgotten, please do!

(Can you tell we're excited for you, Suvigirl?)

Master of the Universe

Edit - not getting into the indoor/ourdoor cat debate. Would rather see this thread stay light and fuffy and full of cat photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Completely agree with this - we've mostly had cats until we got a dog nearly 9 years ago now (on the death of our last cat). Since then we had a lost cat turn up and I just LOVE having both. Cats are such badasses compared to dogs - I love how they despise us, and yet somehow enjoy our company - but when you need a bit of unconditional adoration, the dog is always there to give you some. Perfection!

(And the OP has made her decision so it doesn't matter, but yes, two cats are great together.)

• Advertisement

Can we not turn this into an indoor cat / outdoor cat discussion please?

That is entirely the owner's choice, and up to their own judgement on the subject.

Advertisement