Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One kitten or two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Perhaps but respectfully, it ain't natural. Cats are closer to their wild cousins than dogs are to theirs. Cats are natural hunters, they are also territorial and like to patrol their range. One of ours likes the indoor life in winter but you wouldn't keep her in once spring comes - has to be out and about. And of course you'll know the other old trope that you don't own cats, they own you.

Were they indoor cats? I've seen this "separation" happening with various of our cats, whether siblings or mother and daughter, and they always got over it - but our cats were always able to go outside a lot so maybe that helped.

The oddest thing we had was with a mother and daughter where the daughter would still occasionally suckle from her mother even years later, and at other times the mother used to get really irritated at her and send her off with a flea in her ear (so to speak). They definitely had periods when they were friends and times when they didn't want to see each other. But there were no behavioural issues that affected us, AFAICR.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Our two went into hiding in the back of the sofa as soon as they arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Sure but if you're going keep any animal as a pet, then give it the life it deserves. We've lost cats to road accidents and it's sad but that's the risks you take when you allow them freedom.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

on that note, a friend got a cat (not a kitten, about a year old) and it bolted up their chimney instantly. was up there for nearly two days, they had to get a chimney sweep to get her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,831 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Cats are literally what you make of them, like any other domesticated animal.

Shall we leave it there? Lighten the mood, post some photos of your cats 😁

Master of the Universe

Sweet Jesus haha, I'd say they were scrubbing soot out of the thing for years to come.

I happened to be getting my kitchen redone when I got one of mine. She managed to actually get into the walls where the builders had left a tiny hole.

Nothing quite like the hearing kitten meowing coming from inside walls to make you wonder 'how the absolute feck are we going to solve this?'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I agree with Oisin, let's keep this thread light and positive for a new cat guardian.

Indoor / outdoor can be such a bone of contention between cat owners, which is why I deliberately avoided stating on this thread whether mine are indoor or outdoor. And I'm not going too. :) No judgement here.

The one thing we agree on is we all love the little blighters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No, they weren't indoor cats, they could come and go as they please. They were as close as they could possibly be up until about 18 months, cuddling up with each other asleep, grooming each other etc., and then it began.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

We got 2 males, brothers. They only tolerated each other once they will fully grown. But they definitely kept each other company and occupied. Only one is alive now.

Don't forget cat collar with bell when they are kittens and they just get used them quickly. Amazon have really good cheap ones. Gives the birds a chance if they go outside and if they are hunters.

Just depends on their characters then, so yes, something to be aware of perhaps, but I don't know that there's anyway to know beforehand whether that will happen.

But it's true that cats are more solitary by nature than dogs, so I suppose cohabitation is always a bit trickier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

We got two cats from the same litter 7 years ago. They got on great for a couple of years but then became mortal enemies.
    So there is a risk that your two cats will NOT be friends and will be constantly fighting.

We are moving into an apartment from a house with outside access, and because they couldn't survive together we had to rehome them.

As long as you are home enough, cats are happy with you being their source of entertainment and affection.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭well24

2 brothers

and now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Our cats were from a farm. And they were supposed to be female. Turned out they were both males. 😁 Which makes neutering easy for the vet. But they did have bouts of marking/pissing contests. Which died down after a while. 🙄 There are cleaners you can get to get rid of the smell quickly. But be aware of that. Also, we have wooden floors so that's a plus. If you have carpets …

Question for the experts! Will 2 kittens use the same litter tray?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭well24

My 2 cats do use the same tray, but i would recommend more than 1 litter tray

Yeah I was thinking I would probably need more then one anyway! Thanks

Master of the Universe

Yeah they say one box per cat plus one extra but to be honest I think people who say that are Americans with massive houses.

Ive only ever had the one for my two and they both use it absolutely fine. It's big enclosed one though, something like this

https://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/large_litter_boxes/large_boxes/391825?activeVariant=391825.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Has anyone introduced a female kitten to another female (mostly indoor) cat? I was considering getting another at some stage but my cat seems quite territorial if other cats come near the garden/window. Wouldn't like her to be stressed out by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Babyreignbow

Plan to not have anymore quiet time and don't forget, laptops are places for keeping cats warm.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

You won't know until you have them! It really will be trial and error. Cats are funny creatures!

One of mine was A LOT fussier and used to go outside the tray if the other had used it first!

Others won't share at all and some of them will poop in one tray only and wee in another.

Some of them won't like a covered tray, some are okay with it. I did need to take the flap door of my covered tray.

This is the tray I have for my two adults.

Cats are really smart. Like you I had a dog for the previous 13 years and had to adjust to cat behaviour. I automatically started playing ball with her (scrunched up paper) when she was a kitten and playing fetch is her favourite game. I think my cat has adhd because unlike every other persons cat mine never really spent much time sleeping and wanted to be active all the time. She has very strong hunting instincts as I found out later, so her sleeping patterns are very nocturnal. (they are more active at dusk and dawn)

Keeping her occupied became a chore in itself as a kitten so things like cat tv (on YT) and good activity toys or interactive gaming pads, especially if they are indoor cats are a must.

I picked up some of these talking pet buttons when I had my dog but the cat actually uses them more than the dog every did and if I'm not paying enough attention or she's bored she lets me know by pushing the relevant button. (her name, ball, play and treat) Despite what people think they are very trainable. (and comically funny)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Mine share the same one. We have another one in a second room that they rarely use and then one of them will go out in the garden. We didn't have any soil so bought a bag of compost and they boy kitten uses it quite often, she's too fussy and will come inside to use the tray.

Most cat owners may disagree, (these are the first cats I've ever had) but they have a room that they sleep in at night with water, food and a litter tray. Never have given them free roam of the house at night as always heard from others about cats scratching at the bedroom door or meowing the house down til they're let outside or given whatever they're looking for. We did have them from 3 weeks so this is all they've ever known.

Mine did have her own room (continues to have her own room) but she is indoor/outdoor and after about 12 months got used to her outside space so I installed a catflap. Initially this worked ok but like you said, after a while of getting up to let her out at dawn I changed tack and picked up a chip reader cat flap so I don't have to manage her excursions anymore. She tends to go out at dawn (4/5am) at this time of year and comes back in time for breakfast. I live adjacent to a large private school campus so she has a large hunting ground and the chip reader makes sure no unwanted guests come in when it's unlocked.

That's the litter box one I have! 😸

Funny how many of us had dogs too.

I had a cocker spaniel for 14 years who happily cohabitated with my first cat (who lived until she was 19).

Doubt the two I have now would like sharing with a dog, though. One of them maybe, the other, not a chance.

Mine are confined to the kitchen and living room at night. Not allowed in the bedrooms unless they sneak in.

Another tip for @suvigirl. Get a tapo camera. I suggest a C210. That way if you hear a crash, bang, or wallop during the night, you can check from your bed if you need to get up! I have two cat-cams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

No two cats are the same, we have three here, the ginger, and black and white are from the same litter and 6yo , the tortie is 12yo, the b&w will not tolerate either cat or the dogs near her and can't walk past them if their asleep without taking a swipe at them, spends her time indoors in a room upstairs on her own, the other two get on fine and play together but never sleep side by side, they all look to go outside at night unless the weather is really bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Just after getting a new kitten. Decided to go with only one this time, but will be letting her outdoors once she is old enough to do so, and is vaccinated, spayed, able to use the soon-to-be-installed cat flap. Plenty of feline company in the estate, and we would prefer she has outdoor time. That's a personal preference though.

Now the obligatory pic because she's already a little princess.

• Advertisement

Microchips!

Even if you decide to keep them indoors, there is always a risk of escape, so I highly recommend getting them microchipped.

🐱

Advertisement