Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh Dies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Ah RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

There can be a lot of bitching and moaning in this thread but I think there's no doubt that everyone will agree that the GAA have lost a legend today. I only met him once (at a book signing) and I was late, after the official closing time and I chanced my arm going up to the table anyway. His "minder" was having none of it but Mícheál brushed him aside and signed anyway, and then engaged in a chat for a good 5 minutes. They say never meet your heroes but this lad was an absolute gentleman.

May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Ah no. A great Gael, represented Kerry and the GAA so well down the years.

Trained the Dublin based players of the great Kerry team of 1970s.

And a wonderful story teller.

A big loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

A poet of GAA broadcasting. Unsurpassed in his breath of knowledge and love for Gaelic games. There'd want to be a statue of him outside Croke Park.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

That's sad news. RIP. A great voice and a great commentator. And always came across as a truly humble man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Hooked

Spot on.

"His father's from Fiji and his mother's from Fermanagh, neither a hurling stronghold."

The voice of the GAA

RIP Micheál

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Im of an age that grew up before the advent of GAA on TV . Many the Sundays he made me imagine I was in Thurles,Hyde Park or Clones. What a voice and commentator flipping between the game and people he met on the way to the Match or the Hawthorns late in blooming . A lovely lovely man RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

An absolute gentleman and wonderful ambassador for Ireland and its culture.

Rest in peace

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 26,345 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Legends like him are so ever present that you forget they are growing old the same as the rest of us. I couldn't believe he retired 14 years ago now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭batman75

A broadcasting titan. Our greatest ever along with Michael O'Hehir. Legendary Kerryman. Gone but never to be forgotten. A long life well lived. The first of three legendary Kerryman of his generation indelibly tied to the GAA to pass on. Rest in peace Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Up there with Michael O Hehir as a commentator. Some loss to gaa, what a legend

• Registered Users Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What is there to be said; simply the greatest Gael of our generation.

He should be rendered the highest civilian honours permissible, by the State and by the GAA, for all the colour and infectious joy he brought to millions. Literally millions.

Ní bheidh a leithéid ann arís.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

Good man. No point in being thick without showing it I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Very sad, but he reached a good age. Lovely man and a legendary commentator, the quintessential commentator for me and many others. A great ambassador for Ireland, the Irish language and culture. RIP Mícheál. He could have and had the qualities to run for President of Ireland.

Mícheál now shares his anniversary with another famous Michael. Today is the 15th anniversary of the death of Michael Jackson.

And now sadly Tommie Gorman.

Post edited by sligeach on

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Rip..he could make a bad match sound good..I'm not old enough to remember Michael o hehir so to me he was by far the best I heard.National treasure is an overused term but he most definitely was one.He could have read the phone book and made it interesting.

Even the clip of him making a sandwich a few years back made you want to eat one..

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭StormForce13

Credit to the RTE lunchtime news for leading with his death and relegating both Ireland's new EU Commissioner and the Aer Lingus pilots to second and third place in the headlines. For once they have got their priorities right!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah I may well have been at the same book signing- except I waited outside Eason’s O”Connell st about 5 mins before his advertised book signing was about to commence- I had book in hand and who did I see walk up the street to the steps of Easons only MO’M- a true gent, he signed and dedicated the book, had a few words and yes, his minders were in a right huff as others then started to gather - probably saved myself an hour queuing that day😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Pat Fox has it on his hurl and is motoring well now.. but here comes Joe Rabbitte hot on his tail.. I've seen it all now, a Rabbitte chasing a Fox around Croke Park!

RIP to a legend

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭dinjo99

Hardly his fault if you have a problem with the beautiful surname he was born with.

Slán leat, Mícheál, Laoch ar Lár.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Had the privilege of meeting this man on only one occasion. He agreed to come and officially launch an underage activity week that our club were running. Unfortunately, as it turned out, the date clashed with a commentary gig he had at Croke Park but he said no worries he'd call into us (Midlands) on his way home!

Micheál was well into his 70s at this stage and was in the middle of a long journey home after a day's work. But nothing was too much trouble for him. He stayed for hours chatting, reminiscing, telling stories etc. We got him a small gift and tried to pay him something for his time/ petrol money. He refused any cash and was visibly and genuinely moved by the gift.

An absolute gentleman. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

He grabs the sliothar, he’s on the 50! He’s on the 40! He’s on the 30… he’s on the ground!

🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Shocked hearing this today. Very sad a true Irish legend is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

we used turn down the telly and turn up the radio for the commentary. No delay back then.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

A legend, a gentleman to his core and a true Gael.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭MacDanger

RIP Micheal, sad to see him gone

• Registered Users Posts: 38,442 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Rip

One of the greats of the GAA and always a pleasure to listen too. Pity never heard him announce 'Waterford as all Ireland hurling champions'

Sad day for RTE as a whole with Tommie O Gorman also passing away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Can't believe Tommy Gorman was only sixty eight, he looked that the time of the good friday agreement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Dogsdodogsstuff

ah that’s genuinely sad news, he’s just always been part of Gaa folklore. Made every game sound like the greatest game ever. RIP

Advertisement