Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh Dies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,383 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Not going to lie, was having a stressful day in work and actually shed a tear or two when hearing the news.

Like so many others of a certain generation, his voice was the fabric of the summer. There'd almost be an obligatory silence in the car when his commentary came on, and you'd nearly feel honoured if your own county featured. Have so many fond memories of travelling to and from matches with my own family or with my two late uncles with Micheal filling us in on what was happening in Killarney or Thurles or wherever else. It just't feel the same since.

I met him a few times too, and he was a gent that seemed to defy the ageing process. Remarkably fresh and a towering presence. Just before Covid, there was a special celebration for Matty Forde to mark his retirement. Micheal was invited down to it, he didn't have to go and no-one would have complained if he gave his apologies. But he drove down that Saturday night, and stole the show. Stayed for hours afterwards chatting to fellas too and drove himself home in the wee hours. That was the mark of the man.

An icon, RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm not a gaa fan really, but this guy is a legend.

Always a pleasure to listen to him

Rip

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Highlighter75

Decent man who loved GAA. RIP. I'm a Ger Canning fan myself for commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The man has left people with so many memories an understated character.

A few memories stick out for me.

When I was watching a low key match down in some provincial ground. There was a long break in play and a lull in crowd. I could hear these recognisable tones travelling through the air. I turned around and saw Micheál talking animatedly filling the gap in play painting a great picture, with non stop information. He was flanked by I assume his two grand daughters. I gave them all the the thumbs up.

The next one was at a sort of Gaeilge/Croke Park "do" (an anniversary of something or other) Micheál was one of the guest speakers. He was going through each decade off the top of his head way back to the 1930's (no notes) naming players of note of those eras. He was going way over time. I went out for a break. Fellas outside who wanted to prepare the area for food etc (a break in proceedings) asked is he is finished yet? No I said. he is only on the 1950's!

The final memory about Micheál that sticks out for me was when was on the the Ray Darcy show on telly. Sean Óg Ó'Halpin happened to be on with him. And the two of them ended up breaking into a chat "As Gaelige" completely forgetting they were on television and forgot about Ray.

The man did not even seem to know he was a character.

https://www.the42.ie/micheal-isms-some-of-the-best-o-muircheartaigh-quotes-24710-Sep2010/

To quote the man himself -

"The stopwatch has stopped. It’s up to God and the referee now"

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Water John

MOM would have gone to Colaiste Iosagan in Ballyvourney, That would have been an all Irish school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,095 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Lucky enough to have listened to Michael O'Hehir, and Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh. Legends both.

I would think Ó Muircheartaigh was the better all round commentator. Fabulous man to meet too.
    Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Knockdromin

My aunt had some sort of intern role with RTE in the early 90’s and she brought me along one day. I remember meeting him and Gay Byrne. I admittedly didn’t recognise MO’M (I was 8 or 9) but I remember him asking what my name was, if I played any sports, who my favourite player was and finished with words of encouragement and wished me luck. I’ve forgotten the specifics of what was said but it always stuck with me how down to earth and kind he was in that brief exchange.

There were a couple of other big names I met that day who had a sort of “WTF? Who brought the kid along?” attitude (not Byrne, he too was a gent)

What can be said about the man that hasn’t already been said? A true legend. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 38,442 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What I admired was he done his job and went home no air and graces about him.

No 'Marty Party/2 Johnnies ' type ballax

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Reading that brought a tear to my eye.

Whilst I never met the man, felt I knew him personally such was the power of his broadcasting skills.

Your warm and emotional post is a fine tribute to the man.

We’re all the sadder today for he’s passing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,739 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Very sad. RIP.

And, yes, bread was never meant to be triangular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭StormForce13

I've just remembered that I know one person who didn't like MO'M! He's a former work colleague who was soccer crazy and a mad Dubs fan.

He went to O'Connell Schools (this would have been back in the early 70's, long before the GAA Ban was abolished) and, from what he said, MO'M was fond of the cane and didn't like Dubs, especially if they were soccer mad, had long hair, and - worst of all - didn't play Gaelic games! You could describe it as a clash of two vastly conflicting cultures. But I'm sure that MO'M, like most of us, mellowed with age.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He brought so much passion and emotion in his commentary, like he was a fan of every team

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,222 ✭✭✭threeball

RIP Micheál,

The greatest to ever do it. You've been missed since you hung up your microphone and I'm sure you'll be missed by those close to you now.

Always came across as a total gentleman. Thanks for providing us with moments that will be etched in our minds as long as we're here ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭jacool

Jarlath Burns was just on Six-One and had a story about when he actually scored his only goal, and he wanted to know what Micheál had said, and it went like this.

“Jarlath Burns not known for his goals, not known for his points either. Maybe that’s why he was unmarked when he got the ball."

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭StormForce13

I hadn't realised that he had suffered from an unusual type of cancer for about 30 years. That's probably why he looked so unwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

If there was a book on his in-match comments, it'd be a best seller.

One I heard today..."Here comes Sylvie Linnane. Drives a digger on Monday. Goes like one on Sunday"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ger is excellent. More concise and focused than MM could ever be - for good or ill. MM more interested in talking about the cows in the neighbouring field etc etc etc at times - had its moments.
    Ger - always focused on the match and the live play. Different styles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

o Hehir is viewed through rose tinted nostalgia, he was awful, Mr Helium

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

When you say “Mr Helium” ….you mean he was high pitched during eventful moments?

or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭kk.man

I met Micheál once through a work thing. He signaled me out and we had a chat. He didn't need to chat to me but he did. I felt privileged. What struck me was there was no difference in his public image as his private one. Still the same old bits of Irish in the conversation. It's rare in famous people to have the one image.

RIP Micheál.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

He was high pitched all of the time,his voice was unbearable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭megadodge

Very sad news.

There's not much I can add to some wonderfully articulated posts about a wonderul commentator and wonderful man.

When asked once what was the secret to being a good commentator, he said "commentate on what you see… not what you'd like to see".

Very wise words. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭megadodge

Ger doesn't even know the basic rules of the game, after commentating on it for nearly 40 years. And his pathetic fake posh accent really grates.

He's truly AWFUL !!!

But to have to read someone say he's better than Micheál on a commemorative thread is just wrong on so many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Charlie69

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I would say that was wind up. Micheál had a great turn of phrase. Ger Canning is not fit to be spoken about in the same class as O'Muircheartaigh. You wouldn't get Micheál putting on an affected accent saying things like "daybooh".

Micheál had a gift of taking anyone as he found them, no matter who they were. Not many people can say that.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,996 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The first All Ireland Football Final he attended was in 1948 when Cavan beat Mayo. He'd gave been some age when Cavan win their next. RIP legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Being from Kerry myself I regarded him as one of or greatest county treasures. A legend and a true gentleman. He was also the exact same age as my dear mother, who has been inspired by his spirit, positivity and grace in advanced old age and she feels like she's lost her role model as she, god willing, soon turns 94.

Very sad news. RIP dear statesman and thank you for the memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

that honestly might be one of the best videos to have ever graced the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭C4000

Just watching the 1996 all ireland final on YouTube with Micheal's commentary over it. His speed of delivery allowed him to describe literally every puck and possession of the game, in between giving details of players' professions (it's the chicken farmer against the banker), quoting poetry, breaking into the occasional burst of Irish and sending well wishes to troops in the Lebanon.

As I heard Dara O Cinnede say earlier, people would elect to follow matches via radio rather than TV, as with Micheal commentating, you got a better view on the radio.

I remember in later years, RTE decided to start putting co commentators on air with Micheal, I don't think any of them ever got a word in edgewise as you might as well have tried to interrupt a hurricane when the great man was in full flow.

Hopefully the GAA will have a suitable commemoration planned at the matches this weekend. A minute's silence wouldn't seem apt in this instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭SophieLockhart

A genius, pure and simple.

nearly 94 long years and yet such are the whims of fate, just missing out by 25 days on the first 5 in a row in the most beautiful game… maybe

Advertisement