Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh Dies

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

Did this actually happen? I've seen the quote several times but never seen or heard an audio or video clip. Please tell me/show me that this is not an urban myth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,915 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I reckon a minute of his famous commentaries blasting over the speakers would be better than a minutes silence- silence wasn't exactly his thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Not saying Ger is better overall - of course when you consider the 2 careers, he’s not. No one can measure up to MOM.

I am a huge MOM man, always have been.

He was able to paint word pictures over radio waves, akin to a master water colour painter.

He could make a boring, bog standard rubbish match sound like a clash of Titans!!

BUT … Ger C is EXCELLENT, just a different style of commentator.

Sometimes MOM could go a bit OTT on naming everyone in the parish, or side comments on cows in a field beside the match, or people listening in Vietnam, Timbuktu, or Caracas - you get the idea…

Now I liked all those additions MOM added.

BUT - Ger C to give him his due, keeps the focus and attention on the action on the pitch - a master wordsmith. I never met him but he comes across as a pure and utter gent.

An expert judge of how a match is going and expert on all things GAA.

Bit disrespectful to slate Ger and say he doesn’t know the rules - c’mon now.

This is Ger Canning we are talking about it, the senior GAA commentator of RTÉ since MOM handed up his microphone.

But Unfortunately for GC, he will always be compared with the greatest ever and come off second best.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ger Canning ? Come on Marty is better than him that is not saying much. Canning just commentates which ever way he thinks that the games is going to go to, make it sound like he is knowledgeable. In other words the team that is ahead.

Canning a "wordsmith"? I am baffled by that. Canning's vocabulary/phraseology seems extremely limited. It is the use of repetitive adjectives coupled with a "put on" accent in an attempt to try and sound erudite.

Has Canning ever come out with anything as memorable as the following ?

"Seán Óg Ó hAilpín: his father’s from Fermanagh, his mother’s from Fiji. Neither a hurling stronghold"

"Pat Fox has it on his hurl and is motoring well now, but here comes Joe Rabbitte hot on his tail… I’ve seen it all now, a Rabbitte chasing a Fox around Croke Park!"

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

If anyone is interested in doing some reading.

Micheál Ó Muircheartaigh's autobiography is titled "From Dún Síon to Croke Park" (2004)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Part of O'Hehir's appeal I would have thought.There was a natural excitement to his voice.

I still think his commentary of Seamus Darby's goal in 1982 is one of the greatest pieces of commentary of all time in any sport, it really adds to the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭MattressRick

When Micheal O'Hehir commentated on matches on TV in the 70s or 80s was the commentary also simultaneously broadcast on radio?

I remember seeing clips of matches and he left passages of play uncommentated, it always struck me as bad commentating if it was going out to people on the radio.

Jack O'Shea's brilliant goal against Offaly being an example when the Kerry team worked the ball brilliantly up the field. O'Hehir just finished it off with "and a goal". Yet it was a top corner finish from a good bit out!

So O'Hehir to me seemed overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

Did he actually comment on cows in a field? Just that you've mentioned it twice.

• Advertisement

Micheál describing his last All Ireland Final Day as a commentator to Des Cahill on 19th September 2010 (Cork v Down)

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Never heard the quote myself but It was discussed at some length, with lots of mirth, on liveline the day he passed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,343 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He was a commentator of his time. To me he sounds poor by modern standards and has that annoying "British Pathe" style of speech but that's what was in vogue at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Advertisement