Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on crows dominating feeders

Options
  • 25-06-2024 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

I have 2 seed feeders and a fat ball feeder, I get the good-value fat balls from Mr Price and have started getting the 20 Kg Wild seed bags at Petmania this year. I clean the feeders about once a month to hopefully stem any disease spreading. 🦅

Working from home I generally see many small birds mostly. But it's early morning when most of the damage is done! They have been emptying quicker since the winter it seems. The white poop on my back steps and nearby side fence has needed to be scrubbed off about twice a week to avoid massive build-up.

Last night I was restless and ended up coming down to the back room before 6 and the curtains were drawn. I got a shock, there were about 15 crows, 2 up on the feeders and the rest getting the bits knocked out on the grass 😲🤯

I did not get into the feeding business to help the crow population. It does not seem there is anything I can do to get them to stop coming! Any advice is appreciated!! 🙏

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A squirrel proof cage on the feeders works well for that of you can get one to fit your feeder, alternatively get a new ready squirrel proofed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭boardtc

Brilliant, didn't know anything about them!
    I love this one that autocloses if the bird weighs more than 70g, but it is insane money at €38. https://amzn.eu/d/02uYR7Ds

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we got one - i'll get a photo later - which has an overhang which prevents larger birds from being able to perch. in our case it was pigeons dominating the feeder. it looks kinda like a mushroom top in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭boardtc

stumbled on a serious deal today, all Euros 7, the picture shows the box store

retailer.

Advertisement