Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council obligations.

Options
  • 25-06-2024 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Just checking what someone told me yesterday.

Does the council have an obligation to control invasive species growing on roadsides? I am thinking about ragweeds/hogweeds, the stuff that if you brush against it, or cut, it releases sap that when exposed to sunlight, can cause bad burns. It is all over the roadside where I go and is spreading like wildfire.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm guessing not, I had to attack the verge outside my house with a strimmer (the proper metal disc one) as it was invading onto the road and also blocking my driveway view out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

All landowners are responsible for the management of invasive species on their land.

On public land, not otherwise under the control of an authorised State body, such as Coillte or Waterways Ireland, that obligation does fall to the relevant City or County Council.

However, like all things under the Council remit, their responsibility is limited by resources, both financial and human.

If you have a particular location in mind, request that it be attended to. That way at least the local supervisor will be aware of it.

Advertisement