Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red One

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Well, that looks f*cking dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Haven't watched the trailer, but I'm guessing The Rock is no Ernest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Always a good sign when there's visible, extended product placement in the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Oh great, a holiday cinematic universe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ok perhaps cinema is dead after-all; that looks absolutely dreadful & like something you'd have seen in Last Action Hero … had Dwayne Johnson been around then. Had figured the Christmas movie a fairly broad genre but I guess there really are limits.

Supposedly the production of this was a disaster, the strikes ensuring the budget went completely nuts & Johnson apparently a total áss on set. I was suckered into his brand back in the day but I'm so sick of him I kinda wish he flopped outta Hollywood.

Maybe his work with the Safdis will show he's finally ready to grow up and push himself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Eeesh, this looks bad. And that's before you notice that it's basically a reheated South Park episode (Red Sleigh Down) drawn out to feature length.

I can't help feel that this was the product of some exec seeing Violent Night do quite well as an unconventional Christmas film, and wanting to try the same thing - while failing utterly to understand what _actually_ worked about that film...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I doubt it. I was the same, loved him in wrestling, first few movies he did he was decent (really enjoyed the Walking Tall remake he did, nothing special but it was a decent watch). Then he got absolutely jacked to the tits, started doing really repetitive sh*t, and just became a one-man advertising agency. He was good in the Fast & Furious films, but then he can't stop himself and needs to do his own spin-off because he can't be a supporting character. Has to try take over the DC films because he's already cast as Black Adam so has to make Black Adam one of the main characters (because again, he can't just be a supporting character). Then can't do anything without hyping up his own companies like his energy drink and his tequila.

I think doing the Safdis' film is him trying to get in on some of the praise Dave Bautista and John Cena get as wrestlers who became decent actors (Bautista especially) so now he's trying to do something a bit more serious, but yeah he still seems like an absolute d*ck outside of that. It was reported he was repeatedly hours late to set for Red One, and would p*ss into a water bottle between shots which one of his assistants would then have to dispose of.

But to be honest, I'm more disappointed Chris Evans is in this film. This feels beneath him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I don't really think of Chris Evans as someone who only works on quality projects tbh, I don't think he's been in a good movie since Knives Out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Much like Dwayne Johnson seeking salvation in a Benny Safdie movie, Chris Evans at least has Celine Song's second film up next. But yes, two actors with wildly uneven quality control - though nobody has as dire a record as Johnson (though, just to be controversial, I reckon Ryan Reynold's last decade comes close).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Deadpool has really offset a lot of the crud Ryan Reynolds has done the last few years, and he's nearly as much a human-billboard for his own products as The Rock is. Free Guy was only okay, I didn't get all the hype behind it though. Felt very much like "References: The Movie"

• Advertisement

I very much include Deadpool in the crud 😅

But yes, there's something extraordinarily cynical and artificial about both men and their personas. The relentless branding doesn't help. But I tend to have zero interest in any films - blockbusters particularly - either of them produce.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Plus there is that persistent rumour Johnson's gonna eventually pivot into politics at some point; I don't think he has ever completely shot down by Johnson? And maybe it's just too many people projecting Arnie's career onto Johnsons 🤷‍♂️

I wonder was Ryan Reynolds the first choice as well for this; they couldn't get him so went with Chris Evans instead?

Patrick Willems did a great dive into both actors' brands and how both men can claim responsibility for the watering down of the "movie star" into something more akin to a brand than a person. And look, for now their respective box office success kinda justifies their total one-track persona - but it has meant a deluge of utter drek.

As always, gotta flag a Willems video for having a bunch of "bits" you gotta scrub through to get to his often insightful material

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

co-written by his ex-wifes brother!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I would appreciate the film more if they stuck that on the poster/ Blu-ray box. Exclamation point included.

Advertisement