Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social welfare query

Options
  • 25-06-2024 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5

Hi, Everyone

I was wondering if someone can give me an informed response relating to social welfare. I recently Received a letter in the post about getting means tested again (first time since I signed up a number of years back) and I’ve recently discovered since filling out the form I’m over the saving threshold of 20,000e by a good few grand. I will declare it, of course. But, I’m wondering what will happen when they review it? Will I have to pay it all back? Or will my weekly pay be reduced? Both? Or anything else?

I was saving up to renovate a house I was left by my late father and i thought the limit to savings was 50,000, but now discovered it’s for disability only. I’m honestly quite scared about legal action as i honestly wasn’t aware I was doing anything wrong.

Thanks!.

Post edited by Spear on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Luna84

Which social welfare are you on? You never mentioned if job seekers allowance how come you never got a job in a few years?

Also you are in the wrong forum. There is a dedicated social welfare section on this site. You also have to confirm your email address. Boards.ie would have sent a email to the email address you used to sign up to the site.

• Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5 kckc2399

I do have a job, I’m currently working part time, and claiming for days I don’t work.

Still getting around to the other stuff. Thanks anyways. Just new to this wasn’t aware of a dedicated section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Your savings will be means tested, and your payments reduced a bit according to those means:

Source: Citizensinformation.ie

My advice is be completely honest and upfront about everything. Provide any proof of income and assets they ask for.

They won't take legal action as long as you are co-operative and work with them to finding a solution if any monies are owed.

You may find you owe a lot less than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭Gusser09

They may not even chase you for monies owed. They will probably readjust the weekly payment. Just be honest.

@Ezeoul & @Gusser09

thank you both for the reply each. Really appreciate it and has put my mind at ease somewhat.

• Advertisement

@Gusser09

I’m around the low 30 mark for savings, so I’d say i’ll have something to pay back. I’d love to know how the calculations work. Just to give me an idea, but you were a huge help!. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭REDBULL68

This has to be a wind up .

unfortunately, it isn’t. I was never told by staff about the actual limit. Still my fault of course. Not denying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I was thinking the same. OP ring social and give them all your details that's the only way you'll get a straight answer. If you owe them money

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Get a full time job.

Advertisement