Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Software problems, Seat

• 26-06-2024 6:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a query on the go with Seat, but I suspect there will not be the response I want to hear.

Does anyone know if software "fixes" are feasible for newish cars?

I first ran into the inability of Software engineers to interface with real life when I was locked out of a Mazda company car some years back.

Now I want to disable the useless and intrusive "features" on my Seat Ibiza. My brakes can come hard on for no reason. The risk if a car is behind is obvious, but the additional problem with my Ibiza is that If I wear the seat belt, the auto start stop kicks in. I don't want it, I live in a rural area, it's no use and is probably detrimental to overall economy.

The problem here is that if I wear the seat belt and forget to disable it which needs doing every trip, I can drive into town and out of the blue the car will not pull off at lights, usually when least expected.

There is a message on the dash saying to start the car manually. Why couldn't the software bod add the message to buy a pint for the drivers of the cars behind that are waiting?

There is also a remote window open/ close problem, not down to switches and again an out of the blue event with no obvious trigger.

Can vehicle software be "tweaked"? Do any independents do it for none performance related items?

I asked the dealer that sold me the car, apparently the problems are known. well I suppose it must be as the features can be switched off, but it needs doing every trip and it's a pain to work through the menu each time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Whocare

Auto stop start can turn off with any good Diagnostics only did it myself on vw and bmw few months back (was very easy using launch x431 pro diagnostic)

Brake pedal getting hard that sounds very dangerous you need get that fixed ASAP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

I have a 1 year old Skoda. Lane Assist is a pain on rural roads. It can be switched off (remembers last on/off setting) through unofficial means using diagnostic tools but warranty may be impacted. I now switch it off manually every time I start the car.

Sounds like the braking you mention may be Front Assist. I have had a few very minor examples of this too - in my case when turning the car in a 3 point turn. I have a friend after buying the same model car as mine and he claims the car stopped suddenly on a country road using this "feature".

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Yes it is front assist.

I had the car serviced and asked the dealer about the problems, disinterested and pretty unprofessional too considering they are a main dealer for several brands.

The visit started off bad when they told me I had arrived on the wrong day. I have an email track giving me the details so it wasn't me.

There was a total lack of interest in persuing the problems and the window function he ignored, couldn't even be bothered to look into it, yet it's a feature in the manual and one I do use as I travel with a dog normally.

The final straw came when I found the backing paper for the self adhesive service reminder on the passenger seat and two olld stickers just peeled off and thrown on the floor.

Not really a major problem in isolation but it was all part of the package that was less than satisfactory.

Personally I am a slob, in fact for the first time in a year I cleaned the car yesterday to give the impression I did place a value on it. Despite my failings, I would never leave rubbish on the floor in a clients site or office when working, it's just not done.

I will see what Seat say, I am awaiting their reply.

When I was in the UK I had someone reverse into me when parked. The insurance claim was long and drawn out considering I had a witness and there was no dispute about the event. The driver that put his vehicle into reverse and drove into me tried to say I was too close.

When asking why such a stupid excuse should be offered, I was told that even just being there makes you partly to blame legally. If you were not there there would be no chance of an accident.

Now I know it sounds stupid, but if I was followed by a rear bumper hugger and am knowingly driving a car with a history of slamming the anchors on, could I be deemed negligent by forgetting to turn off the auto assist if he rammed into me?

Anyway I will go to an independent to get the car serviced in future, I was loosely considering a new replacement Seat, but I think I will look for something else next time.

Advertisement