Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent with new landlord

Options
  • 26-06-2024 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Our landlord has decided he is selling our property and we have been given an eviction notice. Last week an estate agent said that he is hoping to sell the house to someone who will agree to keep us on as tenants. I'm wondering if we get a new landlord, can they set the rent to whatever they want after buying? Our rent is pretty low at the moment due to RPZ rules but we're worried it may skyrocket now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭dubal

RPZ is on the property not the owner. it stays in place for the new owner. A tenant in situ will make it hard to sell for the landlord and reduce his price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I'm 90% sure that banks require vacant possession for someone to buy with a mortgage?

Unless the landlord looks for a cash buyer or sells to the council…

In your shoes, I'd start looking for a new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭dennyk

Getting a buy-to-let mortgage would be possible with a tenant in situ, if perhaps a bit more challenging than with vacant possession. If the buyer plans to let the place then they wouldn't be getting an owner-occupier mortgage anyway (unless they were doing mortgage fraud, of course…).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Low current rent will also prevent any of the few potential property investors from buying that house too. Most likely it will go to an owner occupier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Could you buy it ? If the rent is low an investor might not be interested. So to achieve best price it’d have to be an owner occupier that buys it

Unless the council buy it.

Post edited by ted1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dantheman95lbp

I would love to buy the place but it's just not feasible right now. I've been thinking about the councils rent tenant in Situ Scheme too but between the three of us here we are far above the income threshold, so it's not likely

• Registered Users Posts: 18,646 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If the rent is significantly below the market rate no investor will touch it unless theg buy if at a significant discount to market value.

Therefore owner will more than likely have to sell with vacant possession

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement