Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earned income for PRSA contributions

Options
  • 26-06-2024 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

my husband is self employed. We plan to purchase our first investment property over the next 12 months (no need to discuss pros/cons of an investment property).

My husband will be in the 40-49 age bracket.

Will he be able to contribute 25% of his total income (trade plus rental income) into his PRSA? Is rental income allowable income for pension contributions?

He operates as a sole trader.
    I am maxing out my pension contributions in a company scheme. We would like my husband to increase what he is putting into his pension.

we both pay 40% marginal tax.

thanks in advance

Sarah

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

https://www.paylesstax.ie/333/

"Only income from employments or self employed earnings qualifies for pension tax relief. Pension tax relief is not allowed against Rental Income, Investment Income or Capital Gains."

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Property is about the highest risk class an individual can choose to invest in and hitting fifty means you can't afford to get it wrong, especially when combined with being self employed. You need to sit down with a professional financial planner and address all of these issues to maximize you wealth.

Advertisement