Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to turn old wooden gates into electric gates?

Options
  • 26-06-2024 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hope this is the right forum. I have completed a renovation on an old bungalow and am now looking at getting stones down on drive and little bricks on apron. The house came with old wooden gates, fairly unassuming and a bit bockety. I like them though, a lot, more than the look of new metal gates. I have electricity and cat 6 ran to the gateway. Is there any way I can use the old gates but make them open electrically?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭shane b

It's definitely possible but do you have a budget in mind?

The gate operation kit, an intercom and the labour it all adds up.

If going for underground operators, a drainage channel should be costed in too. We have an electric gate with underground motors but the former owners didn't crate an outlet for the water build up. We have to replace the motors every 5 years due water damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Yes, but your setup and desired outcome could be hundreds, or thousands. I built my own custom gates with one slide gate and one swing gate with the allowance for visitor access and egress. The entire project was about €2.5k on materials which included Amazon bought motors and actuators. I got a ballpark quote after the fact and it would have cost over 10k back in 2021.

My system opens with fobs, hard wired buttons and with a home assistant, or APP.

Your gates will need to be solid if making them electric. Otherwise they could be ripped in half.

Stay Free

Advertisement