Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from Vodafone to SKY

Options
  • 26-06-2024 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

I signed up with 500gb fibre Vodafone a year ago for €30 per month (after haggling). I had that price confirmed in a subsequent email, because I expected hassle - and sure enough, they proceeded to charge €35 per month. Every few months I would contact them and eventually they would credit my account, etc. … basically I never got a bill for €30. Today my next bill (they said) is €80.70. When I called to enquire about it, she spent more time trying to sell a contract renewal ("Great price - only €35 for the first 6 months!") than telling me how they came up with €80.70. I said I had no problem with the service but billing has been a disaster… If I get a bill for €30 next month I will consider staying with Vodafone.

Anyway, in the meantime I note I can move to SKY for €30 per month. My current contract with Vodafone is up on August 1st. …I'm not sure how I should proceed. Do I notify Vodafone 30 days prior to August 1st? When do I sign up with Sky? What are the chances Vodafone will stop taking my money after I escape?

All suggestions/ tips gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭RobiePAX

Sky will contact Vodafone and switch you over on your behalf. You should do this after you are out of contract or within 30 days of your contract end date otherwise you'll get a penalty from Vodafone.

Similar how electric providers have MPRN. Gas has GPRN. Home broadband have UAN, it's on your bill. Give it to Sky, with it they'll switch you over within 2 weeks.

Calling Vodafone is recommended but not necessary as Sky will look after cancellation. After switch is complete you'll get your final Vodafone bill.

€30 Sky deal you mentioned best to my knowledge is online exclusive so you can sign up for it only online or over the phone. If you want to do at Sky kiosk it will be a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Excellent. Thankyouverymuch. That is how I imagined it would/ should work but something I read on the Vodafone site the other day had me thinking it wasn't that simple. I've heard horror stories of switching, but half-remembered there was EU legislation to make it more straightforward. (thankfully!)

After I contacted Vodafone yesterday with this problem and they spent 90% of the conversation trying to sell me on a new contract rather than addressing the problem, I knew it was time to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭RobiePAX

It's true that it's not always easy to switch. You are not really with Vodafone or Sky cable wise. You are actually with one of these companies:

Open Eir

SIRO

Virgin Media

NBI

Each one is a different cable, different UAN. It's only seamless and easy if you change providers who will continue using the same cable that you are on right now. Switching to a different cable would be more messy and is probably what you read about online.

Advertisement