Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentist says filling required. Based on x-ray, thoughts?

Options
  • 26-06-2024 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

I believe this is the right side.

I believe this is the left side. The upper tooth requires filling according to the dentist I saw.

Hopefully a dentist can comment on this, if there is one among us?

See anything that may require treatment?

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Why on earth would you want second-guess your dentist with an opinion from some randomer on the internet???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Too much sugar?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,487 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

X-rays are used as an adjunct to visual examination of the teeth, so putting them up as a standalone on the internet for discussion, isn’t wise.
    If you don’t have confidence in your dentist’s opinion, you need to pay another Dentist for a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Sounds good, which I'm doing.

But just curious if there was anything that jumped out or was apparent in that second x-ray that might suggest, "filling needed"?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Raichų

your dentist said you need a filling, a very cheap, minor procedure that in all likelihood take max 30 mins.

But you’d rather not only pay for another consultation with another dentist but post your X-rays online to get a “second opinion” from randomers online…

What exactly is wrong with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,875 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Why do you think your dentist is wrong. Also never knew you could request your xrays

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hobby farmer

From my experience looking at dental x-rays, they all need to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭drury..

I can see 6 extractions maximum needed there

2 root canals maybe

I was under the impression there were a few legit dentists and couple maxillofacial surgeons frequenting this subforum.

Riddle me this, qualified dentists of the boards.

Any competent dentist could look after these fillings, right?

I just read a couple stories of dentists messing it up and the patient having to get a root canal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

they might not even bee the correct X rays

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

You'd be better of spending the money on a therapist, to deal with your attention seeking issues.

You can request your X-rays at any time, they are yours. You can also request a copy of your notes, but not the original if it is in paper form.

There is something of note on the X-rays, but the op is going to have to go to a Dentist to discuss, he/she is not going to get an opinion relating to the X-rays, as it is against the site charter, and, the op is asking for advice, free of charge.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Agreed. I went for a clean at a new dentist and they said I needed a root canal on a tooth. Funny thing it there already was one in the tooth they were suggesting. I did not stay long.

Found out a few years later that dentist was not registered and did not have the skills/training to provide the service!! Funny he had loads of customers at the time. He must have messed up someones teeth that they went to the dental council.

Have you pain in the tooth? Do you have a cavity? Personally I would not touch the tooth unless there is an obvious issue with the tooth.

Also note if you have pain in your top row teeth it can be a sinus infection and not a tooth issue. Used to be the issue I had.

So you're a dentist?

And we both know that "which is of note".

I'm just curious what kind of treatment can remedy it, the normal kind, or is it so far gone it may require the more heavy duty kind.

Directing this at a dentist btw (DM if you wish)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

You need to go to turkey and get their advice....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭Allinall

direct your question at you’re own dentist, who has actually looked in to your mouth.

I am not going to PM you, go to a Dentist, no Dentist is going to give you a diagnosis and treatment plan based on a random X-ray posted online.

Ignore what @tvjunki posted op, it’s the type of unqualified nonsense you can expect when you ask for advice from randomers online.

• Advertisement

I know.

But an actual dentist (of which there are several on this sub I understand), may have insights.

It's been made clear by one, they're not going to give an opinion however.

But……. yeah, obviously I left it too long in between check ups and cleanings.

I just hope it's salvageable by the general dentist approach, and doesn't require an endodontist.

The dentist who did the check up said to get it filled ASAP, he didn't specify anything more profound at that time. Being unfamiliar with dental protocol, I've no idea does that indicate one thing or another.

Why don’t you ask him/her?

I get the feeling you are just going to keep posting over and over until you find some nutter who tells you what you want to hear.

Another poster has just told me you did this with a water pump issue, multiple threads, multiple posts, lots of advice, none of which you would accept.

I intend to.

I'm what you call, "the attention to detail" type.

The water pump threads were entirely different, kind of apples and oranges.

And no, it would serve no purpose to repeat that approach on this issue, but really only cause of the conservative boards.ie approach to advising on medical topics (obviously the cavity is large enough that a RC is a distinct possibility, a dentists thought on that whilst I await a second in person examination may provide some level of reassurance or confirmation, one way or the other).

Commenting on a faculty water pump is very different.

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

Not a Dentist here, I believe the filling is required on the upper left 2nd molar. No wait, lower right 2nd molar. Hmm, that's not right, Upper right 2nd molar. Lower left...wait, just fill them all..

Quoting cause I had to edit this:

I intend to.

I'm what you call, "the attention to detail" type.

The water pump threads were entirely different, kind of apples and oranges.

And no, it would serve no purpose to repeat that approach on this issue, but really only cause of the conservative boards.ie approach to advising on medical topics (obviously the cavity is large enough that a RC is a distinct possibility, a dentists thought on that whilst I await a second in person examination may provide some level of reassurance or confirmation, one way or the other).

Commenting on a faculty water pump is very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

€50 for a second opinion maybe? If it worries you that much then I’d invest. But overall I’d start looking for a dentist you trust, perhaps that would be a better question to pose here?

Hell though, I got to just ask about the routine.

What would be the protocol in treating that tooth?

The cavity is sizeable enough to potentially require a root canal.

But does it get filled first and we see how that works out, or how does the dentist know when to proceed with a root canal?

You're completely wrong

He needs a minimum of 5 extractions and 6 root canals

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Why didn't you ask the dentist all this? And why did you go to a dentist you don't seem to have any faith in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

OP unless there is more to this thread do you understand why people are reacting the way they are?

Do you have a phobia of dentists?

Do you dislike this particular dentist for some reason?

Did you have a filling go badly wrong somehow?

Are you mildly autistic, or have some other needs that require special treatment?

Asking for a second opinion on whether or not you need a filling is an extremely strange thing to do matey.

Advertisement