Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I Use A Different Provider ON VM Fibre?

Options
  • 26-06-2024 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭

(Sorry if asked already)

Our estate has no vaults/ducting

VM came in a few years ago, dug up the estate and ran fibre points to each property.

A few weeks later the salesmen arrived and we signed up

We're currently paying 70pm for 500mb which we can get with Vodafone for 40pm

We'd like to switch, so my question is are Vodafone allowed use the VM infrastructure or am I tied to VM?

CPL 593H

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭RobiePAX

Does VF use VM cables? Yes.

Does VF use VM cables at every address? No.

That's your problem. Reach out to VF and ask them to check if they can use and switch you from VM to VF at your address. If yes, go ahead.

If they say no, call Virgin Media. Tell them you are giving 30 day notice that you are cancelling and will go with mobile broadband with someone else. That you are not happy with the price, VM offer new customers €35 for 12M. They'll make you an offer to keep you with them. If happy, agree. If offer is poor, actually cancel and tell your partner/roommate to sign up in their name. They'll get €35 offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭furiousox

I've spoken to VF through their chat service and they "assure" me that I can receive their service over the Virgin infrastructure.

I asked if it's self-install of a new router or is an engineer visit required and they said it should be self-install but and engineer will call out if "any extra work is required"

It's all slightly vague and I don't see how I can get the same service from Vodafone for 40 euro pm compared to Virgin media's 70 euro pm?

Why would VM allow a competitor charging 30 euro pm less to use their own network?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭RobiePAX

€35 is the "new customer" price. Companies make little money on these plans. Usually they give it for 12M.

Then it goes up to "regular price" which can be €40 to 85 per month. This is where they make money. Even if you call them they usually avoid giving you the same price as before. They usually try to meet you somewhere in the middle.

Virgin Media doesn't care that much because they still get paid when Vodafone uses Virgin network.

Their concern starts when a house switches to Open Eir, SIRO or NBI. Then Virgin doesn't get paid.

Advertisement