Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back to running

Options
  • 27-06-2024 12:13pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

I used to run a lot. Did a few half marathons. Then I put on weight. I'm about 14.5 stone. 6f tall.

Since January I have been using a gym again to run. I might do 3 two mile runs. Sometimes 3 miles.

I stop a few times.

Im thinking of doing a half marathon in September 22. But given the above I don't think I will be ready.

I think I need to go back outside running and to stop - stopping.

I also tend to go on the lash once or twice a week. 4/5 pints which to some is not much but which affects my sleep and diet.

I have thrown a lot out there any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

It's a relatively tight timeline but you could definitely give it a go if you wanted to!

I'm a heavier runner too, I'm currently in the progress of losing weight, but I'm still near 14 stone, and I'm only 5'9 so probably similar amount overweight. It's obviously not ideal but it's not a deal breaker.

Are you running your 2 and 3 milers too fast? It's difficult to come back to running and feel like you should be able to run at X pace or whatever, but you can only do what your currently capable of!

I don't know how long of a break you've had from running, but I've experienced this from me just a few months before hand. I did Dublin marathon last year and I was the fittest I've been in my life, but after Dublin I put on some weight, wasn't running quite as much and I couldn't come close to paces I was doing just a few months before.

Are you doing all your running on the treadmill? Were you doing that before when you were running? I know some people enjoy the treadmill, but I'd honestly prefer to run in the rain than the treadmill! So maybe getting outside might help too.

And as someone who is going through it at the moment, the best thing for improving the running is definitely losing some weight. It's a bit of a balancing act as you start ramping up the mileage to fuel yourself but to still be in a calorie deficit.

Im not qualified to give advice on weight loss but just to give my experience. I've lost about 10kg in the last 2 months while running between 30-40km a week. It might not work for everyone but I'm just basically counting calories and trying to be very efficient calorie wise in what I eat. I technically haven't ruled any food out, but I'm just a lot more focused on portion sizes etc

I don't drink anyways so it's not something I needed to modify in any way to do this. But I'm guessing if your bringing it up here, you probably think it's something you might need to look at. It's difficult when it's part of people's social outlet though, but maybe something you could cut out for the few weeks.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Thank you so so much for the reply. I'm using a treadmill now but plan to go back outside soon. It's just more efficient time wise. Rather than trek to a gym

I kept starting and stopping for years but since March I been consistent. Unless I can moderate the drinking will have to dump it to focus on this because it messes with my sleep. Complicated.

I think I will try to slow down and get to be able to run 3 miles without stopping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

You'll still have the 'muscle memory' from running previously, so listen to the body. Make sure you have a decent pair of runners, physical ground is not as forgiving on the joints, as a treadmill is. Most half's have a cut-off time, probably 3hrs 30mins or there abouts. Given this time, loads of wriggle room for paces.

I wouldn't fixate on running nonstop, loads of plans like Jeffing it, include periods of walking and can indeed be quicker than purely running it. With the time frame you have, your longest run will be the half, so I'd plan for some walking. Have a look at the race profile and decide to maybe walk the climbs, again walking up a hill can be quicker than running up it.

Absolutely no shame in walking or doing a 'slow' 1/2, 13.1 miles is a long distance.

Have a look at Jeffing and try a combination of run/walk, best of luck.

Advertisement