Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a solicitor

Options
  • 27-06-2024 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

I,m looking for advice in regard to choosing a solicitor .I,m getting harrassed by my neighbour .I went to citizens advice centre ,they told me i,ll have to go to court and take legal advice in order to resolve this matter .i have not committed any crime or broken the law in any way , i just want my neighbour to leave me alone .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭thereiver

I ,m looking for a solicitor that will take this person to court so i can carry out repairs on weekdays after 10am before 4pm without being harrassed .these repairs would not cause excess noise or any disturbance to any person on the street

Post edited by thereiver on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The forum charter prohibits recommendations of solicitors I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

How can your neighbour possibly stop you making repairs to your house?

Is there more to this?

How about you tell us the situation from your neighbours perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Sometimes, what one person considers reasonable noise/disturbance during the daytime, another person might differ, esp if they work nights.

Also, you might define "being harrassed", are they physically entering your property and actually preventing you working, or shouting at you from beyond the property boundry.

Also remember, if you go the legal route, they will folllow you down it. I assume a friendly chat has been tried ? What exactly is their "ask". Do the working at a different time, or don't do the work?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Astartes

Honestly just tell them to Fcuk Off and call the Gardai if they have an issue. Forget a solicitor. I had the same issue last summer when I was getting my extension done and the person next door would accost me and the builders every chance they could. Tell them to Fcuk off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Ted222

I’d agree that a solicitor is a bad idea in the first instance for various reasons. Will cost a fortune and be largely ineffective. Perhaps have a chat with the community officer in your local Garda station. The likely advice will probably be to take note of any instances of the harassment. Single instances can be explained away but a pattern of harassment over a prolonged period that has been noted would be much stronger (and probably necessary) if you ever do the legal route to seek a court order to make him leave you alone.

Good luck.

I went to advice centre I was told I have no choice but to go to court to solve this issue. Let's say I'm near the end of a road my neighbour can block off the entrance making it difficult for carpenters to get access to the house or carry materials tools etc

I was careless I had an old cooker it went on fire the front room went on fire

fire was put out but it caused 5k damage to neighbours house so I'd say the neighbor is angry with me

Meanwhile I can't employ carpenters or painters so house is empty and I'm paying rent to stay in a flat power is knocked off in the house I'm not telling anyone to fff off I was careless I had no fire extinguishers so it's my fault I don't want to be rude or aggressive to anyone

I should have bought a new cooker

I just want to carry out repairs and sell the house I'll never be on good terms with my neighbour I'd prefer to move somewhere else

And make a new start

I don't like paying high rent for a small basic flat

Repairs could be finished in 2: months if I had proper access at least Monday to Fridays

My neighbour had insurance the damage was fixed in a few days

II understand my neighbour had good reason to be annoyed with me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭con747

If they block the public road call the gardai, if they accost anybody on your property call the gardai. I don't see any reason you don't just get on with doing the work. They have no legal right to stop you even if they are pissed off about the fire.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Get someone with a car to park in front of your driveway and then move it somewhere else when your tradesman arrives. If the neighbour is blocking the road for traffic then call the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hobby farmer

Have you spoken to the neighbour/ apologised for damaging their house? Paid for the damage?

• Advertisement

Ihe road is not blocked off, my neighbour,s friend a carpenter has blocked off the entrance to the house.my neighbour said i have 2 choices, take the carpenter to court or else pay him money to move away .i have no acess to the house at all .i went to advice centre ,they say take the carpenter to court .i know its expensive to go to court but why should i be paying money to a carpenter just to have acess to my own house .

i just want to get on with completing the repairs that are needed and then i can sell the house .i dont think i,ll ever be on good terms with the neighbour .i,d be willing to pay for the damage but i also need to make sure that the carpenter will leave me alone and not stop me from getting acess to my property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

So you havent rang the Gardai and told them the carpenter is blocking access to your house?

Advertisement