Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esta visa cancelled

Options
  • 27-06-2024 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi

We are currently enroute to Las Vegas, flight for delayed until tomorrow and two of us have received emails saying our visas have been cancelled.

They were both previously approved, seperate applications, and no one has anyone convictions or any reason why it would be cancelled.

Has anyone have this happen to them? Or any advice what to do next?

Currently in the queue to chat to someone but just curious while we wait.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Get out of the line and run very fast,you'll wake up on Friday in guantanamo bay!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Don't stay in the US to see what happens just don't :

When you are in the US, arrange to get ANY Flight out back to Ireland or the UK. ( London Heathrow )

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kamay88

Were not in the US at the moment. Were currently in Amsterdam.. our flight was delayed Dublin to Amsterdam, so that meant we missed our connecting flight

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

Are you sure it says your ESTA is cancelled? Maybe your entry into the US is cancelled? Did you go through preclearance before your flight got cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Marty1983

You can do all the pre clearance in Dub though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

When flying direct to the US from Dublin not via Schiphol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You can only do pre-clearance for direct flights.

OP, is it ESTAs or visas you're travelling on? They're not the same.

Tbh, I've never heard of an already-approved ESTA subsequently being cancelled, let alone for two people travelling at the same time. Are you sure it's not a scam of some sort? Either way, I'd be very wary about getting on your connecting flight without knowing for sure what the story is. Stay in that queue to speak to an agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Go directly to the ESTA site and review the status of the ESTA application, that's the only way to be sure:

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

Esta is what Irish travel on to the US. One visa was approved in 2022 and he already visited America in the time. His esta should of been valid until the end of the year

The other guy applied last month. Both were cancelled as we were in Amsterdam airport.

We've one other guy with us his one is fine..

Never heard of this myself before either

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭mrskinner

ESTA may be out of date?

Each approved ESTA application is generally valid for two years and allows multiple visits to the U.S. within that period without having to apply for another travel approval. If your passport expires in less than two years, you will receive an ESTA approval valid until the passport's expiration date.

You don't get email notifications of your ESTA expiring, though. OP and his friend seem to have been emailed saying their ESTAs have been cancelled, which I have literally never heard of happening before.

OP, just so you don't confuse things when speaking with the agent, an ESTA and a visa are not the same thing. ESTAs are issued to citizens of Visa Waiver Programme countries like Ireland. An ESTA isn't a visa and I wouldn't use the terms interchangeably when speaking to any US officials as it will just confuse things even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭MickH503

The latest ESTA I got in January 2024 will expire in July 2024. The one previous to that was in September 2021 and was valid for 2 years. Something must have changed in the ESTA rules.

Edit: Just remembered, my passport was due to expire in July, so that is probably the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah- take a look online at the likes of Reddit - there’s a few threads with similar - I’m not sure if the 2 year ESTA is still in place- also some countries have just “one use” Estas like Hungary I think - I would try and apply online again now to see if you get another one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Two years is what's stated:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

Just checked mine 2 years from day of issue.

Op worked as a travel agent for 8 years never heard of an issued one being cancelled unless the passport was reported lost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

ESTA is not a visa.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

ESTA is a waiver to not have to apply for a visa. If dealing with officials I would not describe it as a visa as it could confuse matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Nightwing1862

Did the guys submit their API to the airline before they flew the first leg of the trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

ESTA last for two years.

I find it strange that your ESTA has been cancelled and then emailed you to say so. That sounds fishy! AS you sure its from the actual givernment? Lots of fake sites out there charging more than the actual ESTA site is.

If you are travelling through Dublin… (still confused about that detail) I'd still go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

The correct place, and only place you should get an ESTA is the below link. Not another third party service.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

Who did you get the email from to say it was cancelled?

Did anyone go to a restricted country in the meantime?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Did you apply for the etsa visa on a third party website by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Did any of the people who had their ESTA cancelled visit Cuba? That's the most common reason for ESTAs to be cancelled at the moment.

Hi apologies I didn't know esta and a visa were not the same thing.

But it's a legit email they logged into esta and it showed it had been cancelled.

No one travelled to a restricted country prior.

One of the esta should of been valid until October 2024 and the other guy his was approved in May 2024 so he should have til may 2026

We are going to ring esta today and see what the issue was

I will post the outcome here, just incase it happens to anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

if it’s actually been cancelled then the airline won’t receive approval with you in the manifest, if I understand it correctly.

I thought you were in a queue to speak to an agent while you were originally posting yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Kamay88 never came back to advise us what happened? Wonder where they are now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭skibum

Advertisement