Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is LinkedIn required in 2024?

Options
  • 27-06-2024 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭

I'll start off by saying I have a LinkedIn account, created one when it first came over to this side of the pond, but I've never actually used it. Was at a jobs fair recently, having being made redundant basically 3 times in a row, and some advice I received was that I'm at nothing without LinkedIn these days. Now, as I understood it, LinkedIn had turned into a cesspit of fake ads/jobs/people reaching out to you. And I'm real reluctant to get involved in that when there may be no need. I'm not a networking type of guy, in fact I prefer people to pish off and leave me alone! My 20 year old niece says the days of handing in cvs is over too… I'm only 41!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,445 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Who at the jobs fair said it was important?

If it was some recruiter or HR rep then I could see them saying that alright, because Linkedin is nothing but self important recruiters and HR drones these days.

There are roles advertised on there so its worth creating a profile and having a look at them, but don;t for one second think you need to buy into the social media/networking side of it. Leave those **** to their inspirational quotes and fake stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,946 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I moved jobs twice in the past 18 months, both through linked in. If you are established in your field it's good to have a repertoire online. If a hiring manager or hr is looking over your linked in it gives them a better feel for you as a candidate IMO. Also, job specs seem more detailed on linked in and you can often reach out to the recruiter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Not quite necessary but it's anomaly nowadays not to have one. I think it's a virtue-signalling cesspit, honestly but it has its uses. I've reached out to former colleagues through it for things and it's job section is decent.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I steer clear of the Newsfeed aspect of LinkedIn, because it's full of some awful sh*te, but I've found each of my last two jobs through a LinkedIn job post. So there's some merit in it.

I keep a basic profile, job history/qualifications, and a very brief blurb. Just in case.

Is it required? I wouldn't say so. But it can still be a useful tool to have at your disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It was indeed a careers advise crowd so bag of salt and all. Seems that it can be useful but with most things social media these days, it's full of crap to wade through. I've the page open, ready to click "forgot password" but I really don't want to bring it on me! Might give it a few more weeks first…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,098 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

You can still use LinkedIn entirely how it was originally intended by just completely ignoring the news feed. Put a condensed CV on your profile and let recruiters/hiring managers contact you about potential jobs, or search for jobs and contact the recruiters yourself. Ignore everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, I only use it when I'm looking for work. I never ever say anything or like anything contentious on there as it may absolutely prevent me from getting a job.

I hate going on there. It's gives me that absolute feeling of dread that other social media does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Just wanted to share a little personal achievement with my amazing network! 🚀✨

I am beyond thrilled to announce that I have successfully completed my 50th project at [Company Name] in just 2 years! It's been an incredible journey of hard work, dedication, and late nights, but I wouldn't have it any other way. 💪

I am grateful for the unwavering support of my exceptional team, my inspiring mentors, and of course, my own relentless drive to succeed. 🌟

This milestone is not just a testament to my skills and perseverance, but also a reminder that when you are passionate and committed, the sky is truly the limit. 🌍

Here's to many more successes and to continuing to push the boundaries of what's possible! 🚀

#AchievementUnlocked #Milestone #Success #HardWork #Grateful #Passion #Leadership #Teamwork #Motivation #LinkedInFamily

I asked an AI to write a typical linked-in post and its indistinguishable from the nauseating nonsense thats on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,098 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Lol, I could never quite articulate why I disliked Lewis Hamilton so much and after reading this I've just realised he's the human embodiment of a LinkedIn post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I am definitely not looking for a job, but I have a LinkedIn account. Merely because there are some very interesting articles in my areas of interest, where I learn new stuff. Aviation, neuroscience, general science, engineering, tech. Very little virtual signalling in my feed thank goodness compared to articles that are of great interest. Every day is na new day school.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Hibernated (Suspended) my LinkedIn account the other day.

No ' edgy ' posts anymore from industry engineers, everyone is playing it nice and safe.

Now more platitudes than ever. I'll reactivate it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Deleted it years ago. I've had a good few different jobs over the past 10 years. Not one came through linkedin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Probably not too much demand for a Telecom Éireann employee these days 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭downtheroad

But if you don't have a LinkedIn account, how will you congratulate somebody who is honoured and humbled to announce they are starting a 12 week internship with (insert generic company name here) , which is the pinnacle of their career to date.

And then of course you can tell them that you must catch up for coffee soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Full of arseholes, grifters and “life coaches”.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Its a bit like keeping your tinder profile when you are in a relationship. If something goes wrong, you can fire it up and start swiping again. No need to go setting it all up again.

When job hunting it is very useful but I never go on it when employed and I ignore all messages I get from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Also it's really annoying when someone you know who really didn't know much but just fluked their way up the ladder, jumped ship when they were about to be found out, rince and repeat somewhere else, and is now a director in a company. 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If you read it again, I never actually admitted to "overtime".

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Juza1973

Pro: If you have a 20 year profile you are probably not a fraud. I can write any experience on my CV at any time, changing the past in Linkedin is harder. Jobs are advertised there. If you follow the right people you can learn something

Cons: Engaging with bots, and humans that are less authentic than bots. I would suggest stay passive there, unless you really have something to say that will change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's useful enough for job hunting and connecting with people you know etc -

But all the newsfeed stuff is pure rubbish. It's all just empty posturing and self promotion: everyone knows it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Idk whether it's useful at all, I keep a profile because some people like to look you up as if to reconcile your CV back to your other CV lol.

The active users is all the most useless recruiters on planet Earth. Good recruiters with good jobs to offer don't waste their time hitting randos with DMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Depends on the industry too I imagine. I'm in tech so it's useful if I'm job hunting and I've gotten jobs that way. If I write a technical article, I do post it cause it's good for self promotion in that sense. Overall though, I only look at it when I'm job hunting or to update my job title.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Im batin off the employers with a **** stick as it is. Im blaming the tiger for that though

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Cant remember why I set up my profile, but I still have it. I only ever get messages from recruiters who need teachers in parts of the world where I don't fancy living.

I tried using it recently to help promote my new book and it was like shouting the news into the Shannon Estuary - very few people heard, and none of the ones that heard cared very much!

Maybe if I ever get around to doing my PhD it'll be a useful networking tool in the academic world, but for now I must say it's generally a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

By accident I found out that removing my profile pic greatly reduced the spam messages I was getting.
    I’ve gotten 3 jobs through it so it is valuable but it’s the kind of thing you only need to use when job seeking.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Linkedin was great when it came out first but it's more like Facebook these days. I find only the narcissists post stuff now. I log in about once every 6 months, usually for a specific reason. Everyone is mad keen to tell you about their MBA and all the support they got from their spouse and kids to do it - which means they were completely neglected in order to impress their betters in the US MNC corporate dream.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Everyone is a director these days. The most abused job title in US MNCs.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement