Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is LinkedIn required in 2024?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

do people store an attachment of their cv on linked in?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,594 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭scrotist

Today my 2 month old little kid, Alex, waddled up to me with wide eyes. His tiny sneakers squeaked on the kitchen floor as he tugged at my jeans.

“Mommy,” he said, his voice as soft as a butterfly’s whisper, “why do some people have more cookies than others?”

I knelt down, intrigued by this profound question from my pint-sized philosopher. “Well, Alex,” I replied, “some people have more because they worked hard or were lucky. But not everyone starts with the same cookies.”

He frowned, his little brow furrowing. “But Mommy, shouldn’t we share? Like when I give Teddy half my cookie?”

My heart swelled. “You’re right, Alex. Sharing is like sprinkling kindness. It makes everyone’s cookie jar a little fuller.”

And so, my 2 month old taught me that fairness isn’t about equal cookies; it’s about sharing crumbs and smiles. 🍪❤️

🌟 Takeaway: Sometimes, the smallest voices speak the biggest truths. 🌟

(courtesy of ChatGPT)

Also, they always have some ridiculous subtitles under their names, but basically means jobless freelancer struggling to get work.

Navigating Growth Strategies | Revenue Maximization | Business Whisperer | Turning Data into Dollars | Analytics Guru | Profit Optimization

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Lmao @ Business Whisperer 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

LinkedIn is unfortunately a necessary evil if you're looking for a job in most sectors nowadays. Recruiters will contact you through it and potential employers will look you up on it - that and all the cold-calling sales types looking to chat about how their business or product can really help me/the company, but those are easily ignored!

In my last 2 jobs I've also actively been asked to update it to reflect my role with the company - essentially marketing.

Mine is basically my CV and skills though. I don't post or share anything, my contacts are private so no harvesting there, and I never use it outside of when I'm looking to change jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

LinkedIn as it uses but its has drifted away from its original aim. I will get cold emails from recruiters. My rule if I can see you have read my profile I will reply out of niceness even if only to say not interested. The amount who will ghost you when you say not interested. If I have taken the time to reply to you, i expect the same even if only "thanks for letting me know".

• Registered Users Posts: 49 rdser

Used to use it actively. Its now a terrible website imo. Social media for people with no social life.

The amount of me me me stuff on it is insane. Im great, my team are great, my company are the best ever. .EVER…look what we did/didnt do/are going to do/not going to do...we're great..so we are. Id like to thank my cat for being so supportive during this project, my mom, the academy etc

And as for companies blowing their own trumpets..its generally painful reading..particularly if you know how certain companies are in reality versus linkedin spin

I dont even find it that useful as a job site. And as a recruitment tool i have never found the right people through linkedin and its very expensive..or was when we used it.

My profile is staying in hibernation, wouldnt be rushing to use it again and have had no issues getting hired through more traditional channels without an active profile. For me, if a company puts that much value in a social media profile then im not sure i want to work there.

Dont miss it in the slightest. Actually better for my head to stay off it...i actually find it a bit toxic....but maybe thats just me

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Account Hibernated now for a fortnight.

Don't miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

the feed is wall to wall narcissists, AI posts and hero recruiters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

It has its uses - I have got a couple of job offers through it. Some serious dickheads posting there though. But the worst of all are the people who don't update their work information when they change jobs. So you get a "John is celebrating 10 years at ABC Limited" when John actually left them for DEF Limited 12 months ago. That means John is a flake and there's nothing worse than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I find it useful for keeping in professional contact with some people I used to work with (especially more senior) who I wouldn't be adding to my facebook etc. I'm able to drop them a message from time to time to say hi or have a conversation about a development in our field.

Yes it's full of recruiters who oftentimes do a word search & then send you a generic message about a role that has nothing to do with you but I just don't connect to them. I limit my connections to people I know, work or have worked with or a small number of recruiters who I have engaged with positively over the years. The newsfeed I use to keep up with some of the things going on in my area of work but it's a quick scroll every so often to see if there's anything interesting. It's not one I pop onto every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

It really jumped the shark when that CEO posted a video of him crying about having to lay off loads of people his ‘worst day ever’.
    Any of the tips or business knowledge can be picked up from reading a book.
    There used to be a twitter ‘worst of LinkedIn’ or something like that. Used to post absolute gems but then went dormant. Presume the creator went barmy from scrolling it all day….

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I remember feeling quite pleased with myself when I disconnected with too many people I knew who were fond of sharing the narcissistic nonsense. LinkedIn responded by "suggesting" more clutter for my newsfeed.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I get posts from some technology "innovator" who works at a well known company whom I briefly worked with before.

He keeps demonstrating how he used ChatGPT to create art, write his book, etc etc as if he was some AI expert. When a 4 year old could do the same.

So, there are an absolute unreal amount of snake oil salesman on there.

Also, the amount of people who copy/paste knowledge that is decades old and pretend they are adding to that body of knowledge. 🙄

Advertisement