Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service Leave Entitlements on Promotion

• 27-06-2024 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I've recently got a promotion after 17 years of EO to Engineer Grade II and am wondering how annual leave entitlements work. New grade has leave entitlements of 25 on start, 29 (after 5 years), 31 (after 10 years). HR seem to think that I revert from my current 27 days to the start point of 25 days on the new grade but surely given that I already have more than 10 years service within the civil service I should be entitled to the maximum of 31 days or at least retain my current 27 days. 27 days is the maximum entitlement on my current EO grade which was applied upon 14 years of service.

Has anyone else had experience of annual leave entitlement on changing civil service grades?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The new levels apply as you are starting from scratch in that grade - just like the salary scale for the role. I believe 30 days is the new max in any role for those promoted or hired new so you may wish to check that also

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭doc22

Serving officers appointed or promoted to a new post may retain their existing annual leave allowance
    if it is greater than the allowance which would otherwise apply. This is subject, however, to the maximum
    allowance applicable to the new post not being exceeded.
    For example, an officer, with an annual leave allowance of 25 days rising to 29 days after five years
    and 30 after 10 years’ service promoted or appointed to a grade with an annual leave allowance of 27
    days rising to 30 days after five years’ service, may:-
    (1) where the officer has more than five years, but less than 10 years’ service in the
    lower grade, retain 29 days annual leave on appointment to the higher grade, and
    (1a) reckon any period of service in either grade where the officer had an annual leave
    allowance of 29 days as qualifying service for an annual leave allowance of 30 days in
    the higher grade.
    (2) where the officer is promoted, after (say) four years’ service in the lower grade, they
    should be granted 27 days on the date of appointment to the higher grade, rising to 29
    days on the date they would have attained five years’ service in the lower grade had
    they not been appointed to the higher grade and 30 after days on attaining five years’
    service in the higher grade.
    Periods of special leave without pay of 6 months or more which do not reckon for the purposes of
    accruing annual leave will not reckon as service for additional annual leave for the purposes of the
    arrangements set out above.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

my mate moved from local authority to civil service. Technical role too. OPW.

The civil service recognised his years as a public servant and he got the max of 30 days.

Also entry point to the scale should be the next one plus one.

I thought engineer grade 2 Capped out at 30 days though? OPW seems to?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭leanbh

What is the maximum allowance to new post- is it always 30 days in civil service.

My old post (ao pre 2012) had max of 31 days- my new post ap higher grade has max of 30 I'm told so I lose a day?

How is that?

When the circular on leave was introduced (2013/14?) the new levels (max 30 days) apply to all new hires or promoted employees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭leanbh

So I lose annual leave by taking a promotion?

Yes. New AOs or people promoted to AO now would only get a max of 30 (or whatever the new max for AO is) also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭Daith

You'll definitely only get a max of 30. I would have thought you kept your 27 days though.

You might lose FlexTime if you were on that?

Advertisement