Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A New Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Ah so you think much the same in reality. Why do you say then that FG are likely to be re elected?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You are right, they don't want an alternative nor are they ever likely to want one - over the last century or so countless parties have come and gone. Ireland has a very sophisticated electorate and a very sophisticated form of government which is very much shaped by the fact that they make the strategic decisions about the direction they want the country to go in. And as for a one party system, well FF and FG have always been of a similar mind, it's just the civil war stuff that stood in the way. But Ireland's PR system does produce a very representative outcome.

The fact that you don't really understand this and keep coming out with the usual old loser hogwash about masters in Brussels etc… means you will not sell the anti-immigration stuff to the majority of the voters - they see right through it. Over the years I have spend elections knocking on doors in Dublin's inner city, West Cork, and Mayo and that has convinced me of one thing - the voters are very well capable of figuring out what they want and what is best for them and the country. I often don't agree with them but that is their right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

I assume you mean people on the dole aren't look after better than working people. That's one of the trickiest issues for a right wing party. It's no surprise a significant amount of push back from communities is in working class areas. I doubt they'd be too thrilled about a right wing party decimating the social welfare system, even if they did get rid of the foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,813 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Latest opinion polls have FG in a strong position to be part of the next government. SF on 24% look like they will have nowhere near enough support to form a coalition government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

That's not answering the question, which parties are likely to be the next government? If SF end up in government, it will be a coalition. It won't be a coalition that includes these random new parties. And anyone your daughter's age is more likely to vote left rather than racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

That's me anyway. I want sensible policies. What I don't want is the other baggage that comes along with voting right, such as theocratic-led policies and treating women like dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Ireland has a very sophisticated electorate"

Knowing who will fill the potholes for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭sliabh 1956

You are spot on there he is interviewing people on his You Tube Channel who all seem to have very extreme right wing views he seems to think that their voices need to be heard and he is the person to enable them. He still is offering his Financial expertise to folk on his site.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes it'll be a coalition almost certainly - between who, who knows.

All I can observe is the winds of change are about and those of our daughters age will vote and will vote ABF = anybody but the present f****s. FG are going to take the brunt of this as they are simply past their sell by date for the moment. Three terms and they still want more - no way………..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Another clown school of feckers and egotists.

Let 'em come, as the MORE fractured the bonkers right wing extremist vote is, the less likely they'll gain any representation, and the better for those of us who are serious about this Country, who pay the taxes and contribute positively towards society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

" Ireland has a very sophisticated electorate"

That's funny

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ah another chap that wants to slow the economy down, forcing later retirement age and longer working hours, in order to counteract our aging population, ah i ll pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Some of you who branded the party racist should watch Kevin's latest video on Tiktok

• Registered Users Posts: 23,697 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The only thing less appealing than bigoted cranks is bigoted cranks on TikTok.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

God forbid you could actually sum up what he said for us here on this mainly text based website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Yawn, you do realise that this is just another far right group that will fail to even be noticed in the general election?

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭creeper1

Leave a link and I will have a listen to whatever Sharkey had to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I've seen that poster make that point a few times recently.

We're so sophisticated that people just voted for the same party their parents voted for rinse and repeat for generations.

If we're so sophisticated, why do we keep putting people in power who overwhelmingly act in a manner that's detrimental to the majority of people?

The first page of this thread had a lot of "what are his solutions"? Type posts, but in asking that question you're holding a new political entity to a standard that is never applied to any of the established parties because they have no bloody solutions either and typically just cause more problems.

The real issue here is that it's a black man who grew up in Ireland stepping out of the lane people feel he should be in because of his skin colour and espousing conservative ideals which cannot be tolerated.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Michelle Smith the swimmer is not a cheat.

On the other hand Michelle de Brun the swimmer … is now a barrister so … eh … um … anyway, where's the funding coming from for all these right wing parties ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You'd swear that these disparate right wing parties tare swimming in cash with flashy PR firms behind them the way people ask "where's the funding coming from?" about them.

They're all poorly funded organisations, I've yet to see a single one of them well funded or with any type of slick backing from savvy individuals or organisations.

One argument is that the far right in the UK are funding the far right in Ireland, but they're poorly funded themselves, none of this conspiracy makes any sense.

The left are awash in public money in Ireland, NGO's to beat the band, money getting thrown around like confetti. Talking abwthat means you're far right now though, the gatekeeping continues.

Ideally we'd put the more extreme flavours of politics in the rear view mirror and spend money on things that actually matter.

Poor governance leads to a breeding ground for extremism, that's the problem in Ireland. There are so many things wrong here that haven't been dealt with for generations and it only gets worse and never better. If the supposedly reasonable politicians continue to fail on these issues they grant more space to loons.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

A racist with a sense of entitlement because of his accident of birth rather than an obligation to do the country some service is what destroys the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

We're so sophisticated that people just voted for the same party their parents voted for rinse and repeat for generations.

If we're so sophisticated, why do we keep putting people in power who overwhelmingly act in a manner that's detrimental to the majority of people?

Ireland should be very proud of how far its come in the last 50 odd years, and the governance of the country is obviously a large part of that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

What do you mean "accident of birth" , I hope you dont think that souls just wander around the earth and could have been born anywhere? lol

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Nordner

Can you give me an example of any Left Wing economic policy we have seen since the Celtic Tiger Days? Since the financial crash all we have had is austerity heaped on austerity while the banks and insurance companies were bailed out with public money. Ratings agencies, big accountancy firms and government regulators, who were meant to guard against such a catastrophe, suffered little or no consequences.

Even during , Covid19, the plebs got a few bob to stay at home but it was the big corporates that really won out. Receiving billions in subsidies while family businesses went to the wall.

As regards Climate Change, The Greens, have utterly failed to bring people on board by hitting people over the head with carbon-taxes, banning solid fuels, expensive retrofitting schemes and the wholesale privatisation of the electric and renewable energy market.

The so-called 'Left' bar one victory against Water Charges, have been content to focus almost exclusively on 'social' issues for the past decade or so. Government parties have jumped on this bandwagon too. Being pro-immigrant, anti-racist or an LGBTQ+ ally costs nothing at the end of the day.

It has been painful to watch Mary Lou and her compatriots turn themselves inside out on these topics in a desperate bid to retain the middle-class vote...in the end they wind up looking like flip-floppers and hypocrites...which is a damn shame...as they are, truly, like it or not, the only viable alternative to the status quo.

The establishment are delighted to see votes going to Independent Ireland and their ilk as it does not harm them one bit. It actually strengthens their .position. Simon Harris now leads the most popular party in the state despite their mismanagement of housing, health and immigration.

If Harris and Martin head the next government it will be a sad reflection on the Irish electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mommabear3

So Sharkey lost the room! No sign of him or his new party.. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Kevin Sharkey never had the room. Or any room

Kevin Sharkey made the worst mistake a dumb person can make. Like John Waters, or Paddy Cosgrave, or Peter Casey, he believed his own publicity.

Kevin Sharkey is one of life's losers. And its a stain on any Councillor that nominated him for the Presidency on that failed occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Can you give me an example of any Left Wing economic policy we have seen since the Celtic Tiger Days? 

Lower public transport fares.

Advertisement