Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Motorhome in UK for travel in mainland Europe

Options
  • 27-06-2024 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been asked before (happy for responses with link). I am thinking of buying a motorhome in the UK that will be used to travel almost exclusively in mainland Europe on my Irish licence. My daughter lives in the UK and am inclined to register with her, is this possible?

Thanks

Jenks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Insurance as you as named driver being non res UK will be an issue.

If mainly for EU use, why not LHD

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

indeed would it not make more sense to buy one on continent?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 david72jenkins

Thanks for the replies folks, hadn't considered the named driver licence issue though I was named driver on my mom and sister insurance in Ireland with a Swiss licence (used to live in Switzerland). With respect to buying on the continent, I understand there are 'complications' with respect to residential address? Intention is to leave motorhome on the continent and go touring six or seven months each year (now that I am the 'R' word 😅). Will investigate the named drive licencing implications, thanks for the steer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Cant see there being any (legal) problems with daughter being the owner / first insured and you being named driver. AFAIK its legal and youre covered for travel etc but do check (and check travel / breakdown insurance too)

However ….. the insurance cost will largely be based on her situation (age, points, etc) not yours, and if she has a no-claims-bonus on her existing car (or whatever) its only possible to use a NCB on one vehicle so she might end up paying full whack on the camper.

Having moved to UK last year, I do see the advantage of buying here. There is huge choice and a van for every budget. We got a lovely Vivaro poptop a few months ago! It would be possible to buy here and import to ireland (paperwork / vat / pain in hoole aside) and you be owner / first insured, but then youre stuck for trips to continent unless you get ferry. Or drive it over and leave it at daughters place (but then you invalidate the 'its parked outside my gaff' bit and youre in trouble if its stolen or damaged outside daughters place)

sorry, no real solutions from me :-(

For left hand drive issue - I had a LHD in ireland years ago and didnt find it an issue at all, except at left turns which meant I found it hard to see out right-hand window (but thats what a good co-pilot is for!). I was my first camper and seemed big to me (6 birth) so when getting into left seat to drive it always focused the mind (so a good thing) especially when driving down narrow roads or through busy towns. I wonder would it work in reverse, ie RHD on continent?

good luck on finding a van. let us know how you get on …

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

With the UK no longer in the EU is there any insurance company that will cover a UK reg camper left in the EU full time? Even if you keep it in the UK would you be able to get insurance to travel the EU for 6 or 7 months at a time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭JVince

Aside from the insurance, the hassle would put me off.

Living here, motorhome in UK, have to travel to UK first, then pick up motorhome, then travel again to France.

Buy one here (or NI). Pack everything in the comfort of your own home. Travel directly from Rosslare to France or Spain and also use it for a few trips locally here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 david72jenkins

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to offer advice. As RiderOnTheStorm says, the range and choice in the UK is vastly superior to the Island of Ireland, that's the primary reason I am looking at the UK and at the same time attempting to avoid the 'think of a number' roulette with Irish VRT.

A friend of mine is looking seriously at basing his MH on the continent and flying back and forth to/from Ireland, was thinking this might work for me.

Again many thanks for the feedback, certainly provided food for thought and stimulated additional investigation!

@RiderOnTheStorm

Brother drove my LHD Passat was back from Switzerland in 2014, he registered car and paid VRT, returned to Ireland in person in 2020 and drove for three years (still have the car but went electric), found no issues driving on the 'wrong side'

Thanks all once again

Jenks

Advertisement