Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer 2024 Competition (Nationwide)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CMH1967

I'm in the same boat using a desktop iMac I don't want to have to keep lifting and turning it each time to do room scan is there any options? Obviously I can turn it to left and right but it's the in front of me and the desktop I'd have concerns about :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 littlepanda111

Just finished the written I ran out of time and didn't get to 300 word count on the second question so I'll probably fail 😔have the verbal left will do it tomorrow anyone any tips on it I find that tricky with the wording and I get all flustered

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭crinkley

but a cheap webcam in dealz and use that maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tupence

As per the booklet:

“You will be given one scenario with two questions related to the scenario. A text box is provided to type your answers for both questions – the maximum word count for this exercise is 500 words and the minimum is 300 words. There is a word count indicator below the text box.”

• Registered Users Posts: 8 laff87

Don't stress too much over that one, from what I've read it's referred to in the interview and doesn't count towards score for OOM. (Could be wrong, but that's my understanding of it).

Just to clarify : it's 500 word count total. Not 300 words per answer, yeah?

Verbal isn't too bad, if you don't understand the wording of it (and there are a few long winded ones) don't take too long over it and waste time, just make a note of it (I had pen and paper and wrote down ones I had to go back to) and submit an educated guess at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭HiggieL

• Registered Users Posts: 25 louloubb

I done 300 words each I don't care at this stage I tried ha

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Moyglish

I wonder if we could do the room scan with a phone or tablet and then do the assignments on the iMac?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭shmeee

I've it posted on page 1 of this thread. Boards is awful site to reshare/copy post so you've to just go back to page 1 and scroll down, image is there attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tupence

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Podgesull1

Hi just a question. How many written excersise in the written exam. Would anyone who done it

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Podgesull1

What type of questions were in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4 ramblerandgambler

There are two parts to the question, all to be answered in the same box within the same 500 word limit. There is one question, then a follow up to it. Basically a scenario, how you'd resolve it and what led you to that answer.

Do our scores from these tests form where we end up in the merit list, or is that only based on the interview stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Marie43

I’ve just done all four after a long weekend working at Electric Picnic, was going grand happy enough with them and then sat the numerical and had a complete meltdown. Mind went blank after calculating first one and answer wasn’t there. Totally panicked then and messed up second question finally decided to guess the whole lot of them. I always fluster when doing maths when it’s clocked. Gutted now should have left numerical and done it tomorrow when I wasn’t as tired. My colleague and I had different scenarios in the written so hard to give advice only that you will be asked to show leadership skills and how you dealt with a tricky situation. I found it easy enough, did 420 word count. Plenty of time too. Not that it matters much now as I definitely failed the numerical. Always next year. My best advice don’t do numerical when your tired and do a few practice ones before you start to wake up the brain.

Just done the verbal reasoning test, I think my brain is bamboozled after all that! :D

Were we supposed to be answer them all? I just about finished with a few secs to spare!

I'm sure you did a lot better than you think you have. From reading on here it appears that you only need to get just under half to pass so I reckon you're still in with a shot. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I don't know if this will help but maths is not my friend, but I did fairly OK in the numerical assessment last year (and, from memory, the pass score was quite low AND didn't count towards the OOM for round 2). To be honest, just like last year, I found the verbal test the hardest.

I think if you finished it you’ll be fine, very hard to know on those ones but the fact you finished is a good sign

I hope that’s true that it doesn’t count to get to stage 2 as I think I did ok on the other 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Larryduff2018

Yes agree verbal was the worst for me. Lost concentration too. Situational, written were ok just numerically to go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Paris123

What does count for OOM for stage two?? Is it verbal reasoning and situational🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 22 iarmhii

Hi All ,

Just couple of quick questions,any help appreciated .

How long would you need to give yourself time wise to complete these tests ?

And also for Executive Officer role do you need experience in a management level role ?

you will need to give yourself the allocated time some people seem to fly through them others struggle so no definitive answer I’m afraid. No you don’t need experience just try to think of situations where you have acted like a leader and what you would do if you were managing a team. Most people going for EO have never been in a management position before.

Just finished the Situational Judgement Test now.

I found it OK, hard to know though are they're are varying degrees of rightness or wrongness, so just time to play the waiting game now.

I'll try to do the numerical and written tomorrow, I get so knackered after working all day though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4 ramblerandgambler

About 3 hours at least I would say in total. With little to no breaks in between.

It asks about previous experience which led to your conclusions in the situation, so management is a plus but not 100% a must I would say. 'Leadership' can take many forms.

What's the next step after these online tests, provided you pass them OK?

Did I read something about another set of tests having to be done in person? If so, will these be held in the county you applied for, or in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 whoOwnTheHam

The next steps involve three parts:

Brainwave Monitoring: You’ll be asked to wear a helmet that measures your brainwaves while you view various images, statements, and ethical scenarios. This helps them gain insight into your honesty, integrity, and moral values.

Advanced Lie Detector Session: After that, you’ll be connected to an updated lie detector machine. Instead of the usual yes or no questions you will face real life scenarios where you’ll need to make quick decisions. The machine will monitor your heart rate, skin reactions, and facial expressions to see how truthful and calm you remain under pressure.

Thought Alignment Exercise: Lastly, you’ll enter a room (101 maybe?) where you’ll go through an exercise designed to align your thoughts with the core values of the Civil Service. During this, you’ll receive feedback on how closely your thinking aligns with what’s needed, and you’ll need to reach a certain level of alignment to move forward.

Once you’ve successfully completed these tests you can move on to the interview stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1 Rich_73

Hi, I'm doing the 4th test this afternoon, the written one, how do you approach that? don't even know were to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

It's a lil upsetting seeing people here struggling with these tests when I know someone who got someone else to do their exams a few years ago and got the job before all the room scanning stuff, I hope we all get what we deserve.

Advertisement