Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer 2024 Competition (Nationwide)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭2016claire

I would start by outlining the steps you would take, one by one. I’m going to be doing this myself this afternoon. I also have math to do, so I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed 🤦‍♀️.

Good luck to everyone 🙏😊

If you pass the online test, I thought the next step was the interview. Am I wrong in thinking this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

What’s next after the test, please? 🙏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

My webcam decided to go AWOL for two of the tests. Emailed the helpdesk and they confirmed it, no idea what happened. Expecting to be docked points due to it. Only questions I struggled on were the maths questions about the printing, feels like it wasn't explained properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭jaffa20

People keep asking the same questions on this thread without even reading the last few posts! 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Stranger Things

Anyone know where I should be placing on OOM for an interview within 6 months?

Would guess top 2000?

I’m sorry if I’ve asked the same question again. I did read the last comment, but honestly, I thought it was a joke. I mean, this test is only for an EO, not for an AP or anything else higher. It’s just very hard, and it doesn’t define any of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

That's quite a lot. I did the 2023 CO competition and placed in the top 200 in Cork and it took about 10 months to get to the interview stage.

I am going for Dublin sorry!

Believe it’s a lot but do think it goes to around that anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭shmeee

Look at recent placings on page 1.

And compare it to your county for a rough idea. Top 2,000 in Dublin only maybe get placed, if the lower end of that. Anywhere else, zero chance. Why 2,000?

thanks, forgot about that. 800 and under is the aim so!

Vaguely remember I came 2000 last EO panel and got an interview is why I ask.

Sorry, for Dublin. Ya you've a chance for sure with Dublin then at that number. But lower the better also. The last 800+ number included 2 panels also, remember that, 2022 & 2023.

What happened after interview? Not reach your OOM or panel expire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I completed the first 3 tests (Verbal Reasoning, Maths, Situational Judgment) in about 15-20 minutes each. They were all quite easy and straightforward.

I found the scenario in the Written test to be very odd for me and not something I would ever react to like that/have ever encountered. Got ~450 words with 3 minutes left though, so at least it was something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Podgesull1

Can you copy and paste on the written lol if your stuck last few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 23 The Dip

I did all 4 tests yesterday.

Numerical: Easier than I expected. The test assessment is more difficult than the real one in my opinion. I answered all questions which I never managed in the test version. Some can be answered without even going to the scratch paper.

Verbal: Again easier than I expected. I answered all 59 which I didn't manage to do in the test assessment.

Situational Judgement: I found this tricky. Many of the scenarios had no perfect answer. Some barely even had a good answer. Time is not an issue on this one so take your time and think about your answers. No idea what my score was here.

Written: The scenario is a bit challenging as you only have 1 side of a story. I had to answer this in several ways depending on how my conversation went with the 2nd person. It's like a tricky interview questions so you just need to do your best. If you have people management experience like I do, it should be easy enough to draw on this.

Fingers crossed for the results!

If the person is too lazy to do the test, the chances are they will be too lazy to do the work and will get found out down the line

Approach it like you would an interview. Think of examples of things you've done in the past and work one of these into your answer.

failed the interview. was not really prepared and did not really have much work experience to show for myself.

Been a CO now for a year so should be much better suited for an interview if I can get it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 littlepanda111

Just finished the Verbal reasoning there. All 4 tests done now. I found the verbal hard and I always struggle with it find it very tricky and second guessing myself and I ran out of time on the last few questions I hope I got a few lucky guesses and passed 🤞🏼Found the exams tough enough I wouldn't say I passed will put it down to a learning curve and experience in doing them.

• Advertisement

Unlucky. The interviews could take any turn. All on the day and preparation is key.

Approach your EO and ask for help & a mock interview and if your HEO/AP can help you out by doing them. It will set you up nicely.

Some of the interview panel are living in 1990's and doesn't help either if trying to explain examples to them, of modern business etc in previous work experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Icbaby

I placed in top 12 and doesn’t look like I’ll be placed within the 2 year bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Nope passed probation and everything, very frustrating to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Niamd

Anyone else here for Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Icbaby

actually it wasn’t the open panel it was interdepartmental. Sorry. But still looks like I won’t be placed by next April, it’s not moving at all. I am outside Dublin though.

Oh sorry, them interdepartmental panels move at a snails pace. They go in a set order between; open, interdepartmental, internal promotion & mobility - in terms of placing. Currently some counties are pulling from open 2022 panels.

my PO has offered to help thankfully! Will be making use of that. Hopefully I can do well enough to get an interview as soon as possible, would be a killer to be waiting an age

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Larryduff2018

Oh crap don't say that, Im done with these tests🙈

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭mur223

I applied for the interdepartmental panel in the CS over two years, could I have applied for the open aswell?

Advertisement