Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer 2024 Competition (Nationwide)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭apkmbarry

I've looked at the booklet, and I assume the answer is no.

But would it be possible to use the Open competition to move EO roles from one county to another? I.E I'm in Dublin at the minute but would like to move back to my home county?

I have it in my head that you can't apply for the same level as you're already assigned, but maybe that's just something I heard and never checked myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Dublin.85

I think that would be mobility you would have to apply for but I'm not 100% sure. It's a valid question as a colleague of mine was thinking the same thing to move to a different department but stay as an EO as it could be quicker then waiting for mobility.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

You can do that.

Mobility is the preferred option though if you're eligible because you avoid the interview nonsense and seeing how little are taken from the competitions for some counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭apkmbarry

Thank you!

Yeah I'd prefer to avoid the interview, but mobility seems to be going at a snails pace. I'd rather have as many chances as possible, but I'm also on mobility in Dublin for places with more than 1 days WFH which might suit me fine too.

Thank you for your help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FunkyChicken24

So my reading of the booklet is that there will be aptitude assessment tests, taken online, in August sometime. We will be doing those on our own computer. It sounds like we may have a few days period to take them but it is not clear if they will be timed or something we need to do in one sitting.

There will also be interviews at some point of course but they refer to two types; online video/asynchronous interview and "Competitive Interviews", not sure what this last one means, is it where more than one candidate is interviewed at a time?

There may also be;

• Language tests (written and/or oral)
    • The refer to two types of assessment - "Online Assessment Questionnaire and Online and/or paper based assessment test(s) - not sure if the former refers to the application form or what the difference is there, perhaps someone who has been through the process can clarify?
    • Presentation/Analysis exercise
    • Work sample test(s)

It may be that the more applicants there are, the more they get us to do to thin down the number of applicants as the wording seems to imply that all of the above may not necessarily occur?

Has anyone here done this panel last year, if so could they give us an idea of what else they had to do besides the online assessments and also maybe an idea of what those assessments were like?

Also, worth noting that the deadline for applications is 2pm on Tuesday 16th July so don't get caught out by the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭shmeee

Yes, and apply for both open and interdepartmental (if eligible).

Getting out of Dublin on mobility will be as said, a snails pace.

Could well be quicker on the new panels pending assesment/interview.

From the 2022 EO panel, the assessment was carried out on your own PC / laptop in one sitting via online portal. You were given a timeframe to complete this assessment by.

And then interview. None of the other stuff that "may" happen, happened on 2022 panel AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Trevorfromtheshoppingcentre

Are you detailing your roles in STAR format? I'm just using bullet points, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Does your application count towards OOM, or just if you pass initial screening?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I used bullet points too, its the assessment that counts toward OOM.

No, the first assessment will give you your OOM. Application form will be reviewed at interview and referred to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Deniseb24

Can you go for this if already an EO? In a professional position with mobility blocked and want to change. Any advice is appreciated!!!

Edit: I read the previous comments no need to reply! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rcva

Would there be any point in putting down certificates I’ve received in the education section if they’d be relevant? For example, GDPR training, Adobe etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rcva

I’m not doing the star format, I did a short intro and then bullet points. It doesn’t feel like I have much room to put each thing down using the star format so hoping it will just be referred to in the interview and I can then use the star format!

Post edited by rcva on

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sojustrutz

Saw this recommended on another EO thread from a few years ago. Not sure if it's still relevant but could be worth a go for practice. Any one have any other suggestions?

https://www.how2become.com/free-psychometric-tests/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwp4m0BhBAEiwAsdc4aA4GOjy7ZalGot5e6CywjD8rN13EKH9Tavg70UEcpWY2FjJvUhqVZxoC2hoQAvD_BwE

In DCEDIY we get 3-4 days a week at home it's pretty nice yeah, in my previous role I got 1 for most of the time I was there and it was fairly rough going 2 hours each way.

Ideal for Dublin would be 1 day a week in the office, can't stand the place personally…

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CW2022

what’s DCEDIY? That’s sounds like brilliant the wfh

Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth.

Name is a proper mouthful.

Majority of Revenue Commissioner positions are 1 day p/w in offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭aaron5250

Shockingly low numbers for a 2 year panel (outside of Dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭aaron5250

Shockingly low numbers for a 2 year panel (outside of Dublin).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

2023 was maths, verbal reasoning, situational awareness and a short essay about management skills if I remember correctly. Then interview obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

I kept most of my relevant educational bits for interview, it was good for showing continuous professional development (part of one of the capabilities).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FunkyChicken24

Just discovered this link on the EO Dublin 2023 thread - there is a link at the bottom for EO Self Assessment Tests - I haven't tried them yet but they may be helpful. Also as PmMeUrDogs says there is mention of an essay as part of the assessment, I haven't read too far in that htread yet but it looks like the test may be timed and that you have 30 mins to write the essay which is approx 3-400 words.

Last year there were 4 different tests, each one had to be done in one sitting and was timed but you didn't have to do all 4 together, you can split them up.

There is a numerical or maths test but we only need a pass mark and the score you get doesn't count towards your OOM. Seemingly a pass mark is 9 correct answers according to last year's thread and you are trying to get as many done as possible our of 30, very few people would get all 30 done in the time so it is advisable to skip any that you are struggling on immediately and move to the next one. Again, as per the thread from last year.

There are management type situational scenarios to analyse too which may be what you are writing the essay about, that hasn't been made clear yet from the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sojustrutz

Just noticed on the application form for this (and the CO ) in work history it says 'Key responsibilities and achievements'. I had just been writing key my duties / responsibilities for each role and had missed the achievements part. Probably a stupid question but do I have to give a specific achievement for each role, does this need to in STAR or can I do it in bullet point, how many 'achievements' required for each role? Thanks for any responses!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭claregal1

Anyone else having difficulty with the word count? For one of my employments I have 110 words in so far and it won't allow me to input more even thought it says max 800 words ? Its now saying I have 23 characters left. Hope this makes sense !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hey'Tll probably send out an email a few days after the closing date "due to higher than expected applications for this post" and then request either a form listing your compatancies or that you complete a psychometric test.

The results of which will determine if you get called for interview.

Hi all! I left a comment on this and then said no need to reply BUT I'm asking again because I feel I left a bit of detail out that might not allow me. I am an EO at the min and in a professional position so I was hoping to use this comp to move out of it as mobility is blocked. The info I left out is that I am currently on probation. Will this stop me from using this as a way to move? Sorry for the repeat question! Any help at all is appreciated!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I asked my partner who is an EO and she told me that you can only apply for positions higher than you are, so I think mobility is the only option when it's not blocked.

You sure?

I've seen CO's & EO's move location after applying for the open panel. And they stayed as CO & EO, didn't go from CO to EO.

And some didn't even change their location. Just wanted out of the department they were placed in.

• Advertisement

That's what I was told. Internally might be an issue but open wouldn't be. So confused. I might email PAS and see for sure 😂😂

Advertisement