Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rail capacity plans for this weekend in Dublin?

Options
  • 28-06-2024 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I was disappointed with Barry Kenny's contribution on Morning Ireland earlier today.

He was talking about the public transport challenge that this coming weekend is going to present in Dublin, but he was very light on detail. Basically there will be some additional services at unspecified times. It was all very vague.

People need to know how many additional rail services will be running, at what time intervals and for how long after the usual inadequate night stop time. Vague mentions of extra services with no details given, on the day it all kicks off, is no good to anyone trying to plan their way to and from the concerts that are going to provide the biggest challenge our transport services have seen since the Pope dropped by in 1979. It is not his responsibility obviously, but Luas and bus services were not mentioned in the general coverage either.

If we are going to pitch Dublin as a modern city capable of hosting big events, we need a central authority coordinating all public transport options to best effect and giving the public a central point of information that covers all options ….. well in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I 100% agree.

I'm not going to any of the big events, but I will be trying to get back into Dublin from a late night out in the 'burbs on Saturday - exact details of how many DARTs will be running and how late would be very useful, as I'm assuming it'll be Sunday morning before I'd have any hope of getting a taxi! I've checked the online timetable, but I've no idea if that's showing just the regular Saturday night schedule or the boosted one (if there even are extra DARTs being run)…..

Whatever it cost in overtime or bonuses, this would be a great opportunity for the various public transport services to really showcase what they could do, given the opportunity…..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

So you have checked the online journey planner and still not able to determine the last service…

I would imagne a lot of extra capacity will be in the form of ensuring all DART/Commuter services operate as 8 car sets only. Services are not exactly busy most Saturday evening. There does appear to be a few extra DARTs after Taylor Swift.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,004 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was looking at Heuston-Cork times for something on Monday and noticed there's an 00:40 listed as operating. Can't find it on any extra services lists for Sunday (as it would be seen as a Sunday late) - is that actually operating?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

0040 each morning after the Taylor Swift concerts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

if promoters or the GAA would like to charter availability in the network (on a no refund basis even if concert is rescheduled or Donegal makes a final) I’m sure IE sales would take their call.

If people feel that it is a civic duty for IE to have surge capacity in the fleet, with no investment by those benefiting from that availability and sometimes at a week’s notice, then they should express a desire to the NTA that they sanction an equipment buy forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think that is a pretty poor attitude!

In the end, public transport is supposed to deliver for the public and that includes major sporting and concert events.

Having surge capacity on hand to handle major events is pretty much base level service for most public transport operators around Europe.

I know you can argue about who should fund it IR, NTA, etc. and that needs to be worked out. But lets remember Irish Rail is a state owned company, so it is a bit much to say they should just ignore major Irish cultural/sport events!

Irish Rail could perhaps put on extra special trains operated as a purely commercial, money making service, with a high ticket price.

But damn it, serving the public is a pretty basic job for a public transport company!

Advertisement