Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing lawnmower outdoors.

Options
  • 28-06-2024 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Currently keep my ride on mower in the garage when not in use. I'm thinking of storing it outdoors all year round to free up some space in the garage. Does anyone do this and if so what type of cover do you use to protect it from the elements?

I have seen some covers on line but am a bit skeptical as to whether they would adequately protect the mower from the rain etc especially during the winter . Security is not an issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Don't do it. You'll get a lot of condensation under any waterproof cover and damp coming up through the ground. Result is it will probably rust out quicker. Even lean to would be better than nothing.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

In my experience, it will rust even in a lean-to as well. I have a turf shed which is fully enclosed except for one open side. The rain rarely gets farther than halfway in to it even when being blown in the open side by strong winds. I used to leave some garden tools and implements at the back, far out of reach of the rain. But they still all started rusting in no time. Outdoor air in this country is often just really damp so things rust even if covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Small shed if you can.

I wouldn't store it outside.

Even with an elasticated Quad bike cover it'll rust.

Advertisement