Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post and the case of missing birthday cards!

Options
  • 28-06-2024 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Since last year birthday cards sent to my family in Dublin from down the country have been going missing. Never had any mail go missing before and now 5 cards since last summer. 4 had money in and the latest did not. Has anyone else had these issues? An Post won't acknowledge because they were standard post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’ve heard a lot of things go missing recently. A package heading to me disappeared without trace last month and I’d paid customs on it. No tracking and no response from customer service. Company refunded me the price but customs fee is gone.

An post used to be very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I sent a small package to my son in Donegal containing wireless earphones that he'd left behind here in Dublin, but they never arrived. Weren't worth a huge amount but still… I wish now I had registered them, but I've never had issues with the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭GIMP

Missing birthday cards has happened to us a few times both sent or recieving. Solution was to put them in larger brown envelopes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭swoofer

second the above, send in the most non conspicuous way. learnt the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I know a post man who was caught stealing money from cards and so on. An post set him up eventually. He was doing it years before he was caught. I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 SunnyDays1

I have stopped sending money in cards as it has gone missing quite a few times in the past. Sometimes the cards just never arrived and sometimes they arrived with a slit in the envelope and the money gone!!!

An post do nothing about it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sending cash in cards is just silly, its also a restricted item for An Post

"You cannot send restricted items by Standard or Express Post, with the exception of
    cheques and bank drafts, which can be posted in Ireland by Standard
    Post at the sender's risk. Restricted items include: Cash and coin."

https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Sending/Sending-Guide/Prohibited-Items

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pixie84

Be that as it may people still tend to send cash in cards especially for kids on special occasions etc. You still expect your mail to be delivered rather than be 'lost'/stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pixie84

Agreed, never had any problem with them up until recently. I've had one package disappear and another I was sending was stuck in depot for over 2 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 PastaPizzas

Can they not send a valuable item with a GPS tracking device hidden inside it. Wait for it to go “missing” the track it to the thief’s house and the Gardaí kick the door in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭cute geoge

My Dunnes vouchers went walkabout twice before ,I went to the trouble of contacting dunnes who confirmed my suspension they were cashed the day after mailing

• Registered Users Posts: 10 PastaPizzas

Tesco ones must be validated by the clubcard that they were earned by.

Is that not the case in Dunnes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭ebbsy

There is more chance of me winning the world snooker championship I'm afraid.

I sent a father's day card with scratchcards in it, never got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I've used digital stamps for 13 letters I posted this year. I was careful to write the code carefully in all cases. Of the 13:

1 is marked as expired. I posted the letter from my local PO.

3 are marked as used, but haven't been delivered.

1 of those 3 was an official complaint sent to AnPost because of AddressPal employees lies and incompetence.

When I hear of post offices closing down, I know why.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

A friends mother in law sent her grandson £30 from Wales there last Christmas. Customs intercepted it and put VAT on it. I couldnt believe they are opening kids birthday cards but thats what happened and they had to pay the VAT and handling fees to get it.

Advertisement