Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Dublin to the Midlands/North East?

Options
  • 28-06-2024 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

We've been approved for a mortgage and just can't afford Dublin prices.

I work for the civil service and should be able to WFH four days a week and commute to Dublin.

Has anyone any recommendations about a good place to live would be (ideally near a motorway as I have elderly parents in Dublin).

In a housing estate would be best as we've two young kids and would like them to find friends, schools, creches etc.

I'm thinking Cavan/Louth/Leitrim/Offaly, open to others too.

Thanks all.

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Stranger Things

Drogheda growing with plenty of estates currently. Right on the m1, be in Dublin City centre in 60mins and the airport in 30mins.

Vital you pick south side Drogheda though! Add 20mins to your journey on the Northside if your not careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

You could look south to somewhere like Gorey (or one of the smaller neighbouring towns) which is a nice town with a lot of amenities and close to beaches.

As someone who relocated from Dublin to rural Carlow many years ago don’t underestimate the impact a long commute can have on your quality of life and also as a public servant myself I’d say be sure you have 4 days wfh locked in. Having to wfh so much might also impact on your ability to get promoted longer term.

Carlow and Kilkenny are nice but the latter is much more expensive. It depends on which housing estate you buy in. The N7 is a disaster for commuting though, but one day per week would be manageable. Again depends on what side of Dublin you are working in.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Mullagh Co. Cavan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Moved to Accommodation and Property.
    Local charter now applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

For me, it would be Co Wexford!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭dasa29

Depending on what you are looking for and your budget I would suggest Mullingar as it is on the M4/N4 and if needed the Sligo - Dublin railway line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Gorey has more Dublin people in it than Wexford natives (Wexicans?). It is, however, getting rather expensive for this very reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Have a work colleague commuting two days a week from Wexford to office in Dublin for the last year. Average 90 minutes each way. She is finding it very tough, and looking to get back to Wexford full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

How long is a piece of string? You have stated no budget. Just ye cant afford Dublin prices so I am guessing that is under 400k.

I am think if you are civil service that Drogheda/Newry is halfway between Dublin and Belfast when the capital changes to Belfast. Could be good for career options.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jdbwals

I live in Portlaoise and occasionally have to go to Dublin on the train. It's a great service with lots of trains to choose from and journey times to Heuston can be as low as 50 minutes depending on the train you get.

At Heuston, if you work in the city centre you have the Luas or you can walk up the quays in about 35/40 minutes.

Plenty of house/apartment building happening in Portlaoise also. Parking at train station not great though.

You could also look at Portarlington, ten minutes off the train journey to Dublin and adds trains on the Galway/West port line. Huge car park at train station but it is a much smaller town.

You have the M7/N7 if you want to drive but traffic in as you get closer to Dublin is a killer unless you leave really early.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Drogheda and Dundalk should be easily accessible on the train. Have you checked Balbriggan prices as well?

I wouldn't rule out Tullamore. Really nice town and I think there are department offices there so you could transfer in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LunaLoo

We moved from Dublin to offaly and it was a great decision. We sold our house in dublin and bought one that suited our needs. My husband wfh mostly but the train into heuston from tullamore is regular enough and about an hour. Driving is a straightforward run on motorway. Plenty of nice housesand apartments for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭jucko

carrickmacross county monaghan. a great great town

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Hontou

Lanesboro' on the County Longford/Roscommon border is lovely. Near N4. Great schools, on the River Shannon with lots of watersports, beautiful woodland and waterside walks and cheap property.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

If you are in the civil service you should move to a town where there are civil servants. You might be able get a transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭gipi

There may be lots of houses in Drogheda, but unfortunately the services haven't caught up yet - schools are full and getting a GP is difficult, if not impossible.

Advertisement