Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mauser m18 308

Options
  • 28-06-2024 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

I Just purchased a brand new mauser m18 in 308 any recommendations for what bullet they like the most. Its primary purpose is Deer hunting so what ammunition does yours like best for that purpose. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 6.5x55 seller ammo

I don’t have an M18, but my M12 loves Norma tipstrike.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sthilmick

I picked it up yesterday and the lads said it's not a picky rifle they suggested a Winchester power max bonded and fiocchi performance lline both in 150 grain . I haven't shot it yet but we'll see .Neither of the two would be considered premium price so if it kill deer it kills deer imo

• Registered Users Posts: 39 6.5x55 seller ammo

ah lad. I’m sure it’ll hit and all that - but on a previous rifle of the same make - Winchester just couldn’t do the job and had no expansion - your call - but if hunting, you might only shoot 10/15 rounds a year… so getting performance ammo for €3/4 a round isn’t that expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sthilmick

It's not that expensive when you break it down like that. I have used the super x winchester 180G before no issues dropped pretty much on the spot .I've got a box of 178g persission hunter too my old rifle didn't take to it . See how this one goes. I just dont want to spend a fortune on ammunition 50/60 quid a box for 20 shooting 5/6 different loads and brands to shoot paper and theres 300 quid of ammo the safe that it doesn't like. I've a box of FMJ to run her in and 3 different hunting loads to be getting on with hoping one of them is consistent grouping after that I don't care what works as long as something works. If they are all consistent then I'll have to see how they work on animals . I would have picked up a box of the Norma you suggested if I had your message earlier if none of these 3 work out then I'll given them a go . Thanks again. 👍

Advertisement