Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bird Gais smart plan incorrect grid usage shown

• 29-06-2024 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've a bit of a puzzle. I check our BG electricity account daily since we switched over two or three weeks ago. We've an EV plan. It has tallied correctly with the zappi records every day so far.

Yesterday's usage has been uploaded there to the BG website but it says we took 26kw from the grid between 2-6am. Basically like we charged our PHEV fully.

We didn't though. We haven't charged the car fully like that in 3 weeks. The cars app shows we didn't charge it at all since Wednesday. Nothing extra was on. My zappi app says we took 1.5kw total for the day from the grid and fed back almost 6kw into the grid yesterday which is how I'd expected it to be.

Our esb networks account hasn't shown usage for 28/6 yet to cross reference it.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I know one poster recently had an issue where ESBN had mixed up his and the neighbours smart meters. He was seeing (and being billed) for his neighbours usage and vice versa

This doesn't sound the same though, sounds more like a time mismatch in the uploaded data

I wonder if the date upload fails then so they fill it in with estimated data. Maybe if you download the HDF file it'll have the time stamps?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

HDF file has the meter serial number, that can be crossed referenced with the one on your meter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

bord gais do estimate figures if there is no data, i was with them for a year and if there was a power cut you got no reading in esbn for that period, bg looked plausible, the figures also change after a few days sometimes.

My meter went wrong, i only noticed when i was taking a picture of the values (the screen was off) was like that for a few weeks, no readings in esbn, BG were just estimating it (it also showed up on my next bill as being estimated)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Out of curiosity, did you check your data on the ESB site versus BG? It'd be interesting to see who is doing the estimation

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

esbn just had no data at all, the meter stopped working

BG totally invented the data and it looked real (i was on a free sunday deal)

the bill actually had this

totally invented, but plausible (except i was away for some of it)

i was away for a few days, then we were both away for a few days, then she was away for a few days.

when i told BG this and offered to provide camping / hotel / flight info to prove it they were happy to give me some money back, they gave me 30 euro as a gwg, i said i reckon they overcharged me 20 but he said all good, for my time.

The guy from esb who replaced the meter could not read the figures, he said he can sometimes even if its not on. I had moved to energia after my contract was up and they contacted me and said ESB had over recorded the units they gave me another 30 euro, i did say i already had a credit from BG but energia just said esb paid us, we pay you, take it up with BG if you want to give the money back, so i left it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

To update: I checked esb networks and the hsf file today which finally updated for 28th and showed zero usage for the period in question, so i then messaged with BG and asked why the BG usage showed 26.25kw. She explained that the bill they issue is generated from the esb networks HDF file and not the BG chart so my actual bill can vary from what I see in their website. No explanation as to where they generated this specific usage from though.

Moral of the story I suppose is that Bord Gais can and will give you an estimation, so keep an eye on their figures if you're basing your budgeting around it.

Advertisement