Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ready for a marathon?

Options
  • 29-06-2024 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all

I've a question for the more experienced runners. I'm tempted to run in the Dublin marathon if I can get a bib on transfer.

However, I've concerns as to whether it is smart to do this on such late notice, I've come across conflicting accounts online.

I've only started running again this week but I used to run regularly during covid (2020, 2021) but stopped once the gyms resumed normal business. During that time I completed two half marathons programs and completed 90% of a marathon training program (including the 32km run) before getting injured at the very end.

I wondering how realistic is it for me complete the Dublin Marathon? I'd be happy with anytime below 4 hours.

Thanks I'm advance for any advice you might be able to provide. For context, I'd go to the gym five days a week but obviously this is a very different type of fitness.

Post edited by CuriousCat! on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

I've done my last 3 marathons, all sub 3:30,based on 18 week training plans.

Such things as 16/12 week training plans exist.

Basically, if you get a bib, and you're dedicated, then you have the time

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Personally I wouldn't advise it . Attempting to do Dublin myself this year having done no racing in 7 years.Started training regularly in Jan of a very low base.Starting marathon programme this week and will take it a week at a time and see how it goes

Fair chance you will get injured again by going from zero to 26 miles in such a short space of time.Ill be thinking to use the remainder of the year to get a good base in and either run a spring marathon in 2025 or Dublin if you prefer.You will get alot more satisfaction out of a marathon if you prepare properly to maximise your performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Go for it. What have you got to lose? way too many people are worried now about 'am I able to run a marathon' 'will I be ready' etc etc

Be brave. Commit to it and do the hard yards. You'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A lot of popular training programmes are 4 months, you already have a good level of fitness, you have done running programmes in the past.

Start a programme now and you could easily run a marathon in late October. Absolutely.

Will it be under 4 hours is a different question and depends totally on the runner, maybe 4 hours is easy for you, maybe it would be a tough target, only you know your pace.

But if you ignore the time and just want to finish, then start training now and go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

I saw an aul lad running last year dressed as Elvis. I seen old women and men out doing it and enjoying themselves, guys dressed up in bannana suits. A lad in the London marathon ran it in a full F1 suit helmet and all.

Enter the thing and don't overthink it or doubt yourself. feeling tired, just walk for a bit. It's a long day but sure what else would you be doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭Trampas

of course it’s possible but all depends on what your target is and background. If you’re trying to just finish it by running easy then I’d say you could. If you intend to run it as hard as you do based on previous times then that’s a different ball game and could lead to injury

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

I did my first marathon in 2022 on 3 months training. Went from zero running in 3 years to marathon training and in those 3 months got covid and a chest infection so missed 3 weeks of training. Still completed it and had a great day. As other people have said, train for it but if you need to adjust your time target or walk for a bit then thats fine. You'll regret not doing it more than you will doing it.

Make sure you train safe though and don't go full blazing, Being consistently good is better than being sometimes perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Jesus ! 🙄 Ignore this advice, it is nonsense. You've plenty of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭gigantic09

The Op said they hadn't ran since 2021.I don't think it's nonsense to suggest that starting from scratch for a marathon in 18 weeks mightn't be wise 🤷.

Advertisement