Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Build

Options
  • 29-06-2024 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi

I builded a pc about 11 years ago for photography wish I think it’s time to build a updated version. Im looking to run photoshop 2024 and light room.

Im thinking new motherboard and graphics card maybe new processor.

Can anyone recommend something?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What's the specs on the old one? Some of it may be salvageable/re-usable, but 11 years is a bit borderline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BrenRoche

intel Core i7 4770 cpu @3.40GHz I think I need to update that

The motherboard is ASUS H87-Pro I don’t think a good graphics card will fit on it

Installed Ram 16 GB

Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Oof, that's old tech there. It's DDR3, which is long past. It's so old it even has PCI slots from the 90s. And the CPU isn't supported for modern operating systems from Windows 11 onwards. So any replacement means new CPU, new board and new RAM.

The GPU can be re-used at least, it should be PCI-E x16, which will still fit current motherboards. It'll be long in the tooth, but it can be dealt with separate from the rest due to that.

The software you mentioned likes RAM, and 32GB is fairly cheap.

Is there any budget you're aiming for?

was thinking about €1500

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Coyler

Just build a new system. Only thing that might be worth keeping is the case and the GPU. Probably worth it getting a new case anyway to reduce hassle.

That all said AMD are coming out with new CPUs on the 31st of July so I'd hang on until then. Even if you go Intel there is going to be churn in prices very soon. Wait until then and we'll see where we are then.

• Advertisement

Thanks not in any hurry so will hold off till then

Some slightly rambling thoughts then.

If you're not one for regular upgrades, then you'd want a platform with longer term support, and that only leaves AMD. Intel still insist on switching sockets every 20 minutes or so.

On the AMD side, there's still the AM4 and AM5 sockets. AM4 is in it's twilight years, so that only leaves AM5 with any long term future.

The new CPUs from AMD out in a few weeks are for AM5, the Ryzen 9xxx series. The middle offering is the 9600, which rumours suggest will retail for a shade over €300. There's no word on the newer X800 series motherboards yet though, they may not appear till September.

Alternately, you could go for the slightly older Ryzen 7xxx series. They're still solid, and a bit cheaper.

But on the 9xxx side you could go for

Ryzen 9600 ~€320

Peerless Assassin cooler ~€50

an X860 MB ~€150 to €200

32 GB DDR5 €120.

1 TB nvme SSD ~€80.

That would still leave €700 to cover a GPU and any other bits. You wouldn't need much in the way of a GPU admittedly, and the 9xxx series have an integrated one. But I'd still recommend a new PSU and case. A new PSU would be safer given newer higher power demands, and with the case, it would leave your old machine intact, and a backup machine isn't a bad thing to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Bad/outdated advice there.

7800X3D is a better buy than 9600 - more cores + 3D V-cache

Phantom Spirit is a better cooler than Peerless Assassin (barely). They're around 35-40eur

For 125eur you can get 48GB DDR5 (2x24)

I'd rather recommend a 2TB SSD at ~105eur - more storage + better lifespan.

Does the photo software benefit from the cache though? Photoshop doesn't scale well past even dual core, and Lightroom only has some limited ability to make use of more cores.

Advertisement