Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Virgin Olive Oil benefits

Options
  • 29-06-2024 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭

Just been reading about this and there seems to be lots of positives about adding this to food etc. But wouldn't it be easier just to take a spoonful (or whatever the recommended amount is per day) as you would cod-liver oil? It would get straight into the system?

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I guess you could, but it's a tasty oil, whereas cod liver isn't.

I mean, why take a spoonful of evoo and then add sunflower oil to your salad dressing when you could use evoo in the salad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I think Bryan Johnson is drinking shots of it. The Mediterranean diet has it right. 80% of your total calories to come from olive oil.

80%?! That must be quite low carb then, if the remaining 20% is protein, but with lots of vegetables of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭bobbyss

A fair point but the reason I ask is that I hardly eat any salads at all. I am coming to the stage that I would put a dribble of it over my potatoes or mince meat but i don't necessarily like the taste of it and it tends to ruin the taste of the mince.

So i was thinking why not first thing in the morning take a spoonful of it directly. Again I would not like particularly the taste but as it is a good thing to take I would just take it and get it over with. Into the system straight away.

I am not a health expert and know little about this but wouldn't that be a good healthy thing to do?

Ah I see, you are consuming the evoo raw? I do cook with it, not at high temps, but more for sauteeing etc.

I can imagine how raw evoo on minced meat would not work! Although I do like it on boiled new potatoes.

Sure, a morning spoonful of evoo should be a very healthy habit to have. Although I would prefer to save those calories for my actual food! YMMV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Ted222

put it on toast instead of butter. Beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Part of the Mediterranean diet , good for the skin apparently, makes great aleoli and not used enough IMHO.

Yes, but with tomatoes… pan con tomate… oh yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭amandstu

I put it in the bread I make and in the veg I cook.(just add it to whatever I cook really)

But I like other oils too and I expect they are just as good for you.(sesame,walnut)

Drinking oils neat sounds to me a bit like a laxative but I am no expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Ted222

I remember reading an article some years ago that compared the benefits of various oils.

The health benefits of extra virgin olive oil are reduced when it’s heated apparently so it’s best used on bread, salads etc rather than for cooking.

Rapeseed oil apparently is a good alternative for cooking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's like we've gone back in time to the 80s with people discovering that olive oil is good for you and you can make your own garlic mayonnaise at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Honestly, Bryan Johnson reminds me of Data, the android from Star Trek. Him with the embalmed look. Hubby takes CLO every day and I cook with ordinary OO, but I don't use EVOO much. Avocado is supposed to be as good for you as EVOO.

I use EVOO for everything, except for high temp cooking, then I use Lidl's cold pressed rapeseed. Avocado would be good too, but it's so expensive. I might get some coconut oil for that purpose though.

Avocado is suitable for high temps and also high in mono fats, so good, but very expensive.

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's more that it's a waste of money to cook with it in a lot of cases.

Extra virgin olive oil is cold pressed, you are paying extra for the oil not to be heated during production. Unless you're doing some very gentle cooking at low temps you are just wasting money using extra virgin.

It'll not do you any harm though (there is/was a myth that cooking with EVOO is bad for you).

I still use EVOO for light cooking (is it sauté or braise? there's usually water from veg etc. to keep the temp low), such as cooking the onions and garlic at the beginning of many dishes; perhaps there's no real benefit. I just use it for most things. But it is getting more expensive these days.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318397#comparison

Advertisement