Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Discovering Increasing Automation in my new car

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭kirving

If we're taking blindspot monitoring specifically, this is required on trucks. I'm not sure if/when it'll be mandated for cars. I did mention the lack of training earlier too, and you dismissed it.

https://www.fercam.com/en-int/blog/road-safety-in-europe--2-2390.html

What you're forgetting here is the human factor. An individual human, can and should check their blindspot every time, but take millions of drivers and you know that you'll have thousands of people who forgot to check every day, and you will be one of them, one day. It's a fact of life unfortunately, and so we implement safety nets.

On my car, the system is passive, just showing a red light if a car is in my blindspot. But if I indicate to change lanes while a car is there, it goes insane, beeping very loudly and cuts the radio so I pay attention.

There is a line where it could become a distraction, yes (I'm thinking Tesla graphics), but the vast majority if implementations are discreet until - until they're not.

This is why AEB doesn't brake gradually, it waits until absolutely the last second and then anchors on - so that you don't become complacent.

That's how it should be, and why I think ultrasonics sensors can be better than a mid quality camera. A camera draws your attention to the screen, but the ultrasonics encourage you to use your mirrors. Going one step further, my old car wouldn't even use a changing tone for proximity, it has a light bar that lit up more as you got closer to an object. It was mounted in the ceiling at the rear, and absolutely forced you to turn your head and look in the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Its a bit swings and roundabouts, the likes of blind spot detection obviously helps safety but modern car design has increased the blind spot area.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jsmrf

Yes for some reason manufacturers these days are trying to emulate the H2 Hummer but "sportier" it seems. I genuinely do not know why they need to be so bulbous and blocky. I think car design peaked between the early 2000's and mid 2010's. It's been all downhill from there, in my humble opinion of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Can it detect potholes though? Some in my area are very deep and dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭kirving

https://www.mercedesofsalem.com/mercedes-benz-magic-body-control/

More of a comfort feature, and there are limitations of course….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Of course it's required on trucks. they don't have a back window. They can't observe their blindspot so anything is better than nothing.

But you're getting to what my issue is there - there is a line where it becomes a distraction.

Did anybody study that line? Does anybody actually care and evidence when those features work, when they fail and whether or not they should be used. Or is it just manufacturers one upping each other with untested features because ultimately they take no responsibility for their performance. It's the accountability I take issue with. It's something pretty much nobody gets or we're too used to defending the trillion dollar companies.

Advertisement